IT question - using company wi-fi with IPhone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, they probably were alerted for some things. I don't think they will take the time to track it down to me. I bet at most they would make it so this phone cannot access the guest wifi.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He should also be careful doing anything that requires a password while on a public network. Other "guests" might be running something like ettercap... :bolt:

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the guests on our network are transient in nature. They are there for a day or two.
Not worth the bother probably.

If necessary, I suppose we could shut everything down for guests and only allow authorized MACs access.
Then they would have to guess just the right MAC address.

Not that I know anything about that you understand. :wink2:

Heh... you edited that post... while I stepped away to do something before hitting submit...

MAC address filtering doesn't work (and definitely doesn't require guessing) ;)

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I think the fact that I was logged in as a guest will help and if I don't use it anymore it should be fine. I understand now that if they want they can figure out who the iPhone belongs to. I just don't see them getting "big brother" enough to say anything about it if it was only one day.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I think the fact that I was logged in as a guest will help and if I don't use it anymore it should be fine. I understand now that if they want they can figure out who the iPhone belongs to. I just don't see them getting "big brother" enough to say anything about it if it was only one day.

This sounds really good, er..., I mean intriguing.
Can you tell us more?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You might be surprised what some IT guys find enjoyable on slow days.

I remember a really slow one where I once tried to figure out who each laptop and smartphone belonged to. This is pretty easy with iPhones that default to a hostname of "<user>'s Phone" where <user> is the username of the account that was in use when the phone was first synced to iTunes. (It's been a couple of years, so that may have changed... I'm not an iPhoney.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom