Just a little surprised

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So I’m out making my normal pawn shop circuit today. I find a beautiful S&W 586 and ask to look at it. I open the cylinder and someone had engraved their social security number in the frame so when the cylinder is closed you can’t see it. Bummer, but it was a common practice 30 years ago. What surprised me is the number was one digit from mine, and it was the last number!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m out making my normal pawn shop circuit today. I find a beautiful S&W 586 and ask to look at it. I open the cylinder and someone had engraved their social security number in the frame so when the cylinder is closed you can’t see it. Bummer, but it was a common practice 30 years ago. What surprised me is the number was one digit from mine, and it was the last number!
Maybe you have a twin... :D

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can take that Social Security number and see if the previous owner is dead or not by searching the internet. I had a pistol once the was given to me by my mother and it had a SS number on it so I checked it out-it was my deceased mother's SS#.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, this thread is worthless without pics. 4"?? 6"?? Triple "T"'s?? Factory grips? ( I mean "stocks" for the S&W elite) Original box? "M" stamp???

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, this thread is worthless without pics. 4"?? 6"?? Triple "T"'s?? Factory grips? ( I mean "stocks" for the S&W elite) Original box? "M" stamp???
6 inch with factory stocks. Really a nice gun. Price was to much with the SS # carved into it though.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For future reference, how much (percentage-wise?) does that devalue a gun?
Reduces it to just a shooter. I’d say 500 max but I’d be more comfortable in the 400ish range. They had 699 on it which would be just ok for an unmolested gun.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reduces it to just a shooter. I’d say 500 max but I’d be more comfortable in the 400ish range. They had 699 on it which would be just ok for an unmolested gun.
Yikes. So 30-40% less then...
106178-b7e1941ea8db5163fe4c94d654cb9705.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom