Help me figure out if this was a scam or fraud attempt or just what it was

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I got a letter that we would have normally dismissed as junk mail and trashed it, but for some reason my wife opened it and showed it to me. It started out Dear Member, Thank you for joining DCU. It went on to tell me my pin number to access my account. Needless to say I curious and puzzled by this. I went on line to see who this DCU was. Everything I could find pointed to them being a legitimate credit union called Digital Federal Credit Union based in Marlborough, MA. I called them and spoke with their Risk Management department and reported a case of possible fraud saying I did not apply for an account with their CU. They said they would freeze the account immediately and open an investigation. The next day I received a second letter with my member number on it along with all the services they offer. Two days after that I got another letter with a Visa Debit Card in it. A fourth letter arrived from the Risk Management dept saying they concluded their investigation and determined I was not the person responsible for opening the account and they would contact all three credit reporting agencies and have any credit pulls removed from my record.

I had already checked all three credit agencies and determined that no credit inquiry came from DCU. So how do I get an account opened by someone else without there ever having been a credit check? I actually have credit freezes on my credit. Can just anyone just walk into a bank or CU and open an account in someone else's name without proper vetting? I have had the same CU account for 35 years and have no recollection of what I had to do to open it or if my credit was checked at the time.

I can't figure out how a scammer could benefit from this since all the correspondence came to me so they would have to know I would be aware of it or just hope I trashed it like I almost did. Could this be a case of account padding by the CU. There have been charges in the past with CC companies creating false account to pad their numbers to I guess make them look better to stock holders. Maybe they just randomly find a persons name and address and create accounts for them just hoping they will start using their services. Maybe there is something else I am missing here. The one thing I do regret is I didn't ask if there was actually any money in the account. I just asked if their had been any activity in the account and they said no. I think they would have mentioned it if money had been deposited.

Any ideas?

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing more than verifying my name and address which they clearly already had to be able to send me mail. They didn't ask nor would I have given them my SS# or any other unique information.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have n ex-wife that needs money? I had one and she applied for a loan using my Social Security number but for some reason it was declined. I found out because it was on my credit report and I had the credit agency take it off.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Identity theft (or just a screw-up) is likely, but I doubt that any legit bank or credit union would've tried padding their numbers--there's basically no upside, and the downsides have to be huge if they get caught.

I didn't go completely through their process for opening an account, but I don't see why they'd run a credit check--you (well, the thing that opened the account) weren't applying for credit, just opening an account and depositing money in it. Their online process for opening an account does require scanning a gov't-issued ID and providing proof of address, so there has to be some kind of trail that could be followed if anyone gave a damn.

FWIW, it looks like they do offer access to external accounts (a legit service offered by many credit unions and banks), so it's possible that the thing that opened the account could've been trying to leverage that service to get at your real bank accounts.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Contact the DA's office in that state and county/province. If they can't help call the State DA and ask them. That is what I had to do with a similar instance from a company in Chicago.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when i bought my truck 4 or 5 months ago the dealership opened an account in my name at the credit union they got financing for the loan at. had no clue until i got my official paperwork which included a savings account with 25 bucks in it. wont ever use it and didn't ask for of consent to it.!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when i bought my truck 4 or 5 months ago the dealership opened an account in my name at the credit union they got financing for the loan at. had no clue until i got my official paperwork which included a savings account with 25 bucks in it. wont ever use it and didn't ask for of consent to it.!
The consent was probably somewhere in the paperwork. I don't know of any credit unions that will provide loans to anyone who's not a member (I think they may actually be prohibited from doing that), so they'd have to sign you up for an account for you to get the loan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom