Kahr P380

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Purchased my Kahr 380 last Friday and ran 100 rounds of American Eagle through it Sunday with no malfunctions. I'll put another 100 through it this weekend and will then be looking for defense ammo. What defense loads have you folks found to be reliable?

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I got to handle a P380 this weekend, the night sight version (KP3833N), and it was impressive. The night sights give a clear, high profile sight picture. Strikingly good sights for a tiny 10 oz gun. For me that version would be the way to go.

Trigger was smooth and the build quality seemed excellent. I believe you could do some good work with these pistols.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't help it, I like my PM9 so much I bought a P380. I ran 100 rounds of PMC and Independence through it today and I'm actually more accurate with it than my PM9. Normally, I don't care for .380s but this one might restore my confidence in them.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One could view it a couple different ways. It might be interesting to try the P380 with the juiced-up .380+P loads from Buffalo Bore:

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=29

The ballistic numbers are eye-opening. 100 gr hardcast LFN clocked 1061 fps from a Kel-Tec -- same barrel length. I don't know how controllable those would be from the Kahr. (I also don't know what the manual says about using +P.)

Might be better, instead, to stick to conventional-power .380 loads and practice rapid bursts to center mass.

Incidentally, Buffalo Bore is costly but it's premium ammo. I wish it were easier to find in Oklahoma. Only places I know are MidwayUSA online, or drive to Cabela's in Kansas. BB promises high energy and by all accounts they deliver. Their "heavy .38 Special +P" gas checked lead HP is the berries in a steel snubby.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no such thing as .380+P, according to SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute).

Either Buffalo Bore (and other .380+P claimants) is staying within pressure specs for .380, which means it's "just" .380; or they are exceeding the spec, which is dangerous.

Here's a link to an LCP Kaboom from "+P" Magtech ammo. LINK

IMHO, those that believe they need a "hotter" .380 round would be better off considering a larger caliber handgun.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Purchased my Kahr 380 last Friday and ran 100 rounds of American Eagle through it Sunday with no malfunctions. I'll put another 100 through it this weekend and will then be looking for defense ammo. What defense loads have you folks found to be reliable?

Corbon or Speers are what I have used and they are good hot loads. Early post is correct. +p only applies to 9mm and .45 in auto's and a few other revolver loads where you really get a kick, not 380. (See Wikipedia +p)

Reaction score
Hey anyone know whether the "wallet holster" for the Kel-Tec .380 will work reasonably well with the Kahr? Or if someone makes this for the Kahr .380? Thanks.

Glockpride, I don't have one, but they are the old Colt Mustang, IINM, and a very nice gun - very shootable and ergo. However, they ARE significanly larger and heavier than the Kahr/Ruger/KelTec/Taurus .380s. If that helps...

Retops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only had my P380 for a few months but I am very happy with it as a simple to conceal pistol. Mine required no break in at all and has functioned without problem. It is accurate, but I don't shoot it quite as well as I do my Sig P238.

I think Sig and Kahr both produce a really fine weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom