Keep an eye on whats going on in Virginia.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still don't agree that it's always true that people get the government they deserve.
Sometimes that pig just won't dance.
Did the Native Americans get the government they deserved?

The concept is used in the context of citizens in a representative form of government that requires an informed, intelligent, and engaged electorate.

Native Americans were a conquered people forced to live under the constraints imposed on them by their conquerors. Totally different.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The concept is used in the context of citizens in a representative form of government that requires an informed, intelligent, and engaged electorate.

Native Americans were a conquered people forced to live under the constraints imposed on them by their conquerors. Totally different.

Agreed, I had to leave the house for few minutes and I fired off the first thing that came to mind.
How about the next question; CA?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed, I had to leave the house for few minutes and I fired off the first thing that came to mind.
How about the next question; CA?

Yes, to some extent.

How many are truly engaged? They live in California by choice, for the most part. If it’s home, I get it. Hard to move. Given that context, how many “conservatives” in California are truly active and engaged to the level required to overcome the noise generated by their opposition?

How many get involved with the campaigns of promising conservative candidates and “show up” to do the work required long before Election Day? How many man phone banks, stuff envelopes, knock on doors, attend public forums? How many fight for what they believe in versus just waiting for some candidate to show up and save them? How many just complain on the internet until the “right” candidate shows up? How many brag about swearing off social media while the opposition uses it to sell its ideas and get out votes?

This representative republic thing wasn’t supposed to be easy right? We aren’t guaranteed to have the representation we want, but we are guaranteed the opportunity to have it if we work for it.

Last edited:

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, can you visualize any situation where the opposition is so great that no amount of campaigning can swing people to the minority side?
I would guess in most cases this would involve a value change, not just a choice change.

Edit; in the case of guns, some people absolutely believe in their souls that the police will protect them and civilians should not have guns.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It happens. Look at all the counties around the country that flipped from Obama to Trump!

Just doing some quick reading, in 2018 only HALF the number of eligible voters actually showed up to the polls in California. That’s a lot of potential. Opportunity for a grass roots campaign by the conservatives who choose to stay and fight.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can see there are almost twice as many registered democrats as republicans in CA.
25% is No Party Preference.
If half the No Party Preference voters can be swayed one way and half the other, that still leaves almost twice as many Dem voters.

My perception of conservatives in general we just want to be left alone. The idea of manning a phone bank and calling people in their homes to read them a scripted message is repugnant to me. It's my nature to be as anonymous as possible and to leave people alone; I don't even put political signs in my yard.

Disclaimer: I'm registered Independent, but always vote for the conservative candidate. Or should I say, I always vote against the democrat.

https://ktla.com/2018/05/10/percent...-in-california-sinks-to-new-low-report-shows/

Dc2ebFsUQAAO5z_

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are something like 6 million more eligible voters than registered voters there too.

Who are those fence sitters?

Latest posts

Top Bottom