KFOR news clip about the hog issue in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read that - they tell landowners to not shoot, report. Whatever. Just one more reason not to live in Kansas or Missouri.
They say the logic is shooting 1 or 2 in the group just disburses the rest of the sounder and makes it harder to trap them all. I wonder if there's any truth to that?

Do they have a pig swat team that flies in to handle a sighting? I'm skeptical.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They say the logic is shooting 1 or 2 in the group just disburses the rest of the sounder and makes it harder to trap them all. I wonder if there's any truth to that?

I could see that. Doesn't change my opinion, though. Land OWNERS do what they will on land they OWN.

I know the state likes to flex and talk about "shared resources", but these ain't turkeys, deer or white buffalo.

Bring on the bacon. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Last edited:

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score

Trapping is proven to be waaay more effective. They can catch most of a sounder with the tornado traps.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't believe any other states have done that, why do you think Oklahoma would?

@Jared - any input?
From my observations it appears that both the State Gov't (legislators) along with the wildlife and ag depts all want to implement solutions to help curb the hog problem.

I do not believe the wildlife dept has any desire to deem the hogs as a game animal and create a license or tag to be purchased to hunt them. This would do nothing to help solve this issue and the wildlife dept is only wanting to implement measures that will have a positive impact on the objective.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When it becomes big business, and generates revenue for local and state economies it will never go away. TX is permanently screwed. Too much money changing hands in TX for the hog problem to ever be “solved”.

Like I said early in this thread; Hogs aren’t a problem in TX. They are a source of revenue.

If you truly wanted them to go away, something like what KS or MO does would probably be a good first step.

Last edited:

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When it becomes big business, and generates revenue for local and state economies it will never go away. TX is permanently screwed. Too much money changing hands in TX for the hog problem to ever be “solved”.

Like I said early in this thread; Hogs aren’t a problem in TX. They are a source of revenue.

If you truly wanted them to go away, something like what KS or MO does would probably be a good first step.
Got a couple buddies that trap and sell them to a ranch in Texas that offers “guaranteed hunts” for the rich folk out of the DFW area.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Know people that turned domestic hogs loose in the mountains back in the 60's so they could chase them with dogs. Let them fatten up on acorns . Now they complain about the hog damage. Idiot Biden voters to boot.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From my observations it appears that both the State Gov't (legislators) along with the wildlife and ag depts all want to implement solutions to help curb the hog problem.
I can only say this from what I see in my job working for the local conservation district but the conservation districts state wide have an opportunity to purchase hog traps through the Ok Conservation Commission.

The OCC has even hired a couple fellas and put them in different parts of the state to help land owners/entities to trap hogs. Any hogs we catch in our traps purchased with state money have to be given a high speed lead injection in the traps.

At least on the local level we’re trying to catch them, BUT, you’ve got some landowners, Indian Tribes, and people that just plain din’t want hogs killed that will do nothing to help solve the problem.

And yes, when you shoot into a sounder of hogs they’ll scatter and be gone from a piece of property, go into a place that we can’t trap and then be back on the same place later on.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I do not believe the wildlife dept has any desire to deem the hogs as a game animal and create a license or tag to be purchased to hunt them. This would do nothing to help solve this issue and the wildlife dept is only wanting to implement measures that will have a positive impact on the objective.
Not yet the ODWC doesn’t want to. But it gets to the point if you can’t beat them join them. The TPWD didn’t require a license for years to hunt hogs but I believe they realized all the money they were missing out on and started requiring a game license to shoot them.

At $50 a pop for nonresidents to come shoot hogs on a 5 day license in Texas I’m sure that adds up.

I do not doubt you that the ODWC currently has no plans to start this but at some point (unless things change drastically) I believe they will.

Latest posts

Top Bottom