KFOR news clip about the hog issue in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the ODWC do a test run at eliminating or maybe just start getting control of hogs on WMA’s before they jump out there and want to start programs on private property.
In my opinion, if they can’t control them on state land, as a land owner I would never let them on my place.
They've been trapping on WMA's and not allowing hog hunting on WMA's for a few years now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
KS is doing a great job. No hunting, no hog guiding outfits. KWD traps and helo shoots them. KS biggest issue with hogs comes from Kaw Lake.
Since Kaw Lake is a primary spot for Ks deer hunters, the rumor that has not been substantiated by proof is that Ks hunters introduced them for additional hunting opportunities.
Currently the USDA in conjunction with ODW has shut down pig hunting on Kaw Lake.
Not much intel why, but again with rumor only, it’s to try and develop an eradication system that doesn’t rely on shooting them or them living with hunting pressure in their habitat. Maybe new trapping methods? Nobody knows for sure and I’m familiar with lots of folks that own land bordering Kaw WMA.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5 from 1 field last night. The strong wind allowed getting as close as 57 yards before shooting.
Snapchat-1726135305.jpg

Last edited:

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are these hogs good to eat? If so it seems someone woujld trap them on a large scale, and process them for the meat? Just a matter of economics, I guess? I grew up in the Ozarks, and the razor back, wild hogs were said to be uneatable!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are these hogs good to eat? If so it seems someone woujld trap them on a large scale, and process them for the meat? Just a matter of economics, I guess? I grew up in the Ozarks, and the razor back, wild hogs were said to be uneatable!
I’ve cleaned and eaten a bunch, and in my opinion, they’re not good. I know people that swear they taste good, but I’ll never clean another one.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve cleaned and eaten a bunch, and in my opinion, they’re not good. I know people that swear they taste good, but I’ll never clean another one.
Thanks, they are just domestic hogs gone wild aren't they? I don't know what the Razor back hogs are for sure, and have never tryed it, but I hear you can't even stay in the house while they are cooking, they smell so bad!! Are they a cross between domestic hogs, and Russian wild boars brought her for hunting?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, they are just domestic hogs gone wild aren't they? I don't know what the Razor back hogs are for sure, and have never tryed it, but I hear you can't even stay in the house while they are cooking, they smell so bad!! Are they a cross between domestic hogs, and Russian wild boars brought her for hunting?
I can’t definitively answer your question. All the ones I’ve killed have looked like the ones in OKbassin’s picture and don’t look like any domestic pig I’ve ever raised. I assume they have some eastern european ancestry.
Here in east TX they’re called pineywood rooters.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are in hog heaven! They claim they are up here too, but here in Ohio, it seems if you want to hog hunt, then you have to go to a game ranch.

I did that once before, and learned it was not for me.

I imagine the state is cranky because (some) land owners are profiting from the piggies, while the state is not!

I can really understand while land owners do not want the state meddling on their land!

I bet those hogs would make great chicken feed!

Latest posts

Top Bottom