Kimber KDS9C

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep... The external extractor thing didn't go over well at all even though the vast majority of those guns worked just fine. Luckily, they didn't last long. I also agree about the Series II guns and the added/unnecessary safety...though I wouldn't call the guns garbage.

Fortunately, they've started offering more and more models without the safety. I try to buy the pre-Series II guns when I can.

I just ordered a KDS9C. I can't wait to get it now.

Not sure a "vast majority" worked fine, as they kept redesigning it and they finally caved and went back old school. Hell they even went to replacing the whole slide if you sent it in. :D

To clarify, I said the system was garbage, not the gun.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned maybe 20 or more Kimbers and had one that I didn't like. It functioned fine but the finish was way too smooth/slippery in my opinion. That was an SIS model based on a gun that was supplied to some special LAPD unit.
LAPD SWAT? Supposed to have been the same gun the LAPD SWAT team settled on. I have a friend that bought one when they came out. It's the only one I've ever seen in the wild.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LAPD SWAT? Supposed to have been the same gun the LAPD SWAT team settled on. I have a friend that bought one when they came out. It's the only one I've ever seen in the wild.

LAPD SWAT used a Custom II that Kimber started calling the TLE II. The Special Investigation Section was the unit that used the SIS. Nice gun...but the finish is way too slippery for my liking.

SKATA

Leave the gun, take the cannoli
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned three Kimbers. I had slight FTE problem with the micro 9, sent it in for repair, and it has been my EDC for the past four years. My Super Carry Custom 45cal is awesome. A tack driver way better than my ability. I have a couple of guns for sale in the classified today and I want to purchase the KDS9c.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure a "vast majority" worked fine, as they kept redesigning it and they finally caved and went back old school. Hell they even went to replacing the whole slide if you sent it in. :D

To clarify, I said the system was garbage, not the gun.

I don't know... We (Advisory Board members) were told a certain percentage (very small...I don't recall the exact number but it was a single digit percent) had problems with the springs. Or the springs were causing the problem...something like that. But there were enough complaints they just decided to replace slides and do away with the external extractor. Frankly, I thought that was a pretty stand-up move by the company.

As far as I know, no one that bought one of the EE guns from me ever had a problem.

I agree with you on the safety nonsense.

A member here I've done a deal with had a Pro BP Ten II that I really wanted. But Kimber no longer supports those guns with parts and it had the external extractor. It was a great deal and I really wanted it but no parts are available. I could've had Kimber just fit a new slide to it but then I would've had too much into the gun and it wasn't worth it to me.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kimber makes more 1911 style pistols than any other maker in the US, I think. And somebody's buying them as fast as they make them. Even 20 years ago I couldn't keep them in stock.

One thing I remember I did complain about to Kimber more than once... I don't mind that some parts are MIM. Almost everyone uses MIM parts these days. But whatever alloy they were made of didn't take their black finish well at all, especially the safeties. But every time I complained they'd send me new parts to replace the ugly ones with.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked it up at Riverbank Firearms earlier this afternoon. This gun is nicely done. The fit and finish is top notch...that's something that they've struggled with on some guns. Comes with 2 15-round mags. This is a nice touch because Kimber is notorious for including only one mag with most of their guns. To be fair that's to allow their stocking dealers the opportunity to make money on accessories. It's packed in a pretty nice range bag inside a cardboard box. Kimber sells the mags on their website for $50...so I'm glad two are included. Kimber says they'll have an 18-round magazine out soon.

This gun feels incredibly natural in my hand...like it was made for it. It's also very light at about 25 oz with an empty magazine. The sights are excellent with the blacked out notch rear sight and green fiber optic sight up front. The thumb safety feels as good as any 1911 I've ever fired. Curiously there's no grip safety but the back strap is cut in the shape of a grip safety...reminds me of how some guys will pin the grip safety down in their 1911 pistols. I'm not sure of the rationale for making it that way.

The slide is optic ready but from what I understand it's a PITA to remove the plate. I don't plan on putting an optic on it so I likely won't attempt that...at least not yet.

I haven't fired it yet but I will in the next day or two if I can get to the range before it gets too hot. All the reviews I've seen have been mostly complimentary.

A.jpg
B.jpg
D.jpg
E.jpg
F.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom