Kimber KDS9C

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKATA

Leave the gun, take the cannoli
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked it up at Riverbank Firearms earlier this afternoon. This gun is nicely done. The fit and finish is top notch...that's something that they've struggled with on some guns. Comes with 2 15-round mags. This is a nice touch because Kimber is notorious for including only one mag with most of their guns. To be fair that's to allow their stocking dealers the opportunity to make money on accessories. It's packed in a pretty nice range bag inside a cardboard box. Kimber sells the mags on their website for $50...so I'm glad two are included. Kimber says they'll have an 18-round magazine out soon.

This gun feels incredibly natural in my hand...like it was made for it. It's also very light at about 25 oz with an empty magazine. The sights are excellent with the blacked out notch rear sight and green fiber optic sight up front. The thumb safety feels as good as any 1911 I've ever fired. Curiously there's no grip safety but the back strap is cut in the shape of a grip safety...reminds me of how some guys will pin the grip safety down in their 1911 pistols. I'm not sure of the rationale for making it that way.

The slide is optic ready but from what I understand it's a PITA to remove the plate. I don't plan on putting an optic on it so I likely won't attempt that...at least not yet.

I haven't fired it yet but I will in the next day or two if I can get to the range before it gets too hot. All the reviews I've seen have been mostly complimentary.

View attachment 402967View attachment 402968View attachment 402969View attachment 402970View attachment 402971
WOW! I handled that exact Kimber at a trade show. Hopefully my next purchase. I have three Kimbers and all have been good guns. My EDC is the micro 9mm. Good luck and let us know about your range day.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finally had a chance to shoot the KDS9c today. Not really a typical 1911 feel to it...might even be better. The trigger is good...really good. I noticed a bit of a gritty feel when I dry-fired it. I gave it a good cleaning and put some lube in just the right spots and it took away all of the gritty feel. The trigger is likely as close to perfect on a production gun as I've ever felt. It's even better than my Springfield Professional (which is twice the price of the Kimber). The reset is really crisp and positive and SHORT!

I fired 60 rounds, pretty much just for function because I was limited on time. No issues at all. I fired one mag (15 rounds) each of WWB, some Sig-Sauer HP stuff, Federal American eagle and Speer Gold Dot. I didn't have a target up so I just fired into my berm. It's at least MOP from 15 yards...that's "minute of pinecone" for you city types. It's got a fiber optic front sight which is quite bright and easy to see. The black outline rear sight takes a little adjustment for me because almost every handgun I have is 3 dot. But it was pretty easy with that blazing bright front sight.

Recoil is, as expected for a 9mm, nearly non-existent. The wider backstrap thanks to the double-stack design really spreads the recoil out over the hand. Follow-up shots were quick...even though I don't shoot nearly as often as I once did.

Assuming the reliability holds out over a few hundred more rounds, if I was looking for a new duty gun, the KDS9c would likely be at the top of a short list. I'm looking forward to getting it on paper in the next week or two.

This was money well spent.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The KDS9c i no doubt one fine looking firearm. I've seen the favorable comparisons with the Wilson EDC X9 at half the price, but really wonder if it if it's worth multiples of a CZ P-07.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only you can decide that. I'm not a CZ fan so it's easy for me to decide. The P07 is a polymer framed DA (that can be carried cocked/locked) that weighs more than the aluminum framed KDS9c so for me it's an apple/orange comparison. The prodigy is probably the best comparison. I wanted one but decided to wait for the Kimber. I'm glad I did.

Lucky

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kimber put out an excellent pistol never have had any issues. Very well built an tight new takes at least 500 rounds to break in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom