Knock at the door....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got armadillo's as well, probably posted two or three dozen pics in the hunting/fishin forum.
Dillo's dig big holes, the possums scratch around making small holes looking for the bugs in the turf.
Sorry, but I disagree. 'Dillos root around looking for ants, grubs, and such. Possums are more into nuts, berries and carrion.

Look at their (possum's) front feet. No claws for digging, they look more like human hands. ;)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, but I disagree. 'Dillos root around looking for ants, grubs, and such. Possums are more into nuts, berries and carrion.

Look at their (possum's) front feet. No claws for digging, they look more like human hands. ;)
Well, we have to disagree then.
In our sand ground, the dillo's dig holes 6" in diameter and 3-4" deep. Their tails leave a track where they are digging.
Possums scratch around the turf tearing it up and out looking for bugs. Their holes are very shallow but the fact they dig the turf up looking for what I think is our night crawlers or grubs, is very evident, and we watch them do it.
Your clay soil, if that is what you have, may not be conducive to their digging, but here it is.
Edit: with my own humanoid hands, I can stick my finger into our sandy soil an half inch deep with zero effort when it's dry. When wet, not so much.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and we watch them do it.
Dennis, dunno if you added this while I was posting or if I just missed it (or maybe it didn't sink in) last night. Either way, I'll take your word for it.
:oops3:

And you are correct about our soil here at the house, they'd need a pick and shovel in dry weather. In fact, we've had very little armadillo activity in the yard, in 40+ years... :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, dunno if you added this while I was posting or if I just missed it (or maybe it didn't sink in) last night. Either way, I'll take your word for it.
:oops3:

And you are correct about our soil here at the house, they'd need a pick and shovel in dry weather. In fact, we've had very little armadillo activity in the yard, in 40+ years... :D

It's amazing how much loose dirt they can move with one paw in a leg hold trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom