Anyone else seen a hummingbird moth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this while walking in the front door tonight after bringing the trash can back from the road. I walked right up to it at our front porch while it was enjoying our tobacco plant blooms. I thought it was a hummingbird at first, but there was something odd about it. It was dusk, and the light was from floodlights on our front porch. I've never seen one before.
Hummingbird Moth.jpg

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thirty some years ago my neighbor at the time had honeysuckle all around her front porch and there would be dozens of them hovering around. That's the first time I saw them and I haven't seen them since I moved from there.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw this while walking in the front door tonight after bringing the trash can back from the road. I walked right up to it at our front porch while it was enjoying our tobacco plant blooms. I thought it was a hummingbird at first, but there was something odd about it. It was dusk, and the light was from floodlights on our front porch. I've never seen one before.View attachment 421905
Not real recently, but yes.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sad story.
Made me start hatting authority figures in my young age.

I caught one of the large Sphinx moths when i was in 3rd grade and put it in a shoe box.
I did not know what kind of moth it was and took it to school and I asked a science teacher in the 6th grade what kind of moth it was and what were the little black things it left in the bottom of the box.

He said give me the box and I will figure it out and at the end of the day I will give you an answer.
Well the end of the day came and I asked him what kind of moth it was and he said what moth.

I said the one I gave you in the shoe box.
He said You did not give me a shoe box beat it kid.
I said yes i did this morning I gave you a box with a big moth in it and reminded him what he told me.

There were 2 other teachers standing there and he told me to scram and quit making up stories.

Broke my heart and made me angry at the same time.
I have seen many teachers pull stupid stunts and it makes me want to rip their heads off and crap down their necks.

That is all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom