Know who your friends are if your looking for a power of attorney

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Trying to keep this short.

My MIL living with a guy for the last 12-15 years in Texas, common law married, a little over a month ago, they find out he may be dying, may be cancer wapping around his heart and most likely losing his mind and has enphysema, and a smoker. The doctor says he wouldn't survive a biopsy. He has a lot of money stashed in a safe hiding it from the IRS from a failed business years ago, years... After hearing all of this terrible health news, he is going around trying to get more money to set up my MIL so she might be a little more comfortable after he is gone, reverse mortgage and life insurance. his mind is going right about this time, he hasn't been eating for a while, which has brought to light these health issues. In steps his faithful friend and business partner who we'll call Jack, they sell trailers off my MIL's BF's land who we'll call Gil. All of a sudden, he somehow gets in Gil's head that people are out to get hime, mainly my MIL, now he acts like he doesn't trust her, next thing she finds out, is Gil signs over power of attorney to this Jack fellow, now Jack and his wife are in my MIL's face telling her what to do and she has a couple of days to get her stuff out of the house. They found out today that Jack already put Gil's truck in his name. She went to the sherrif to see if this guy can do all of this, and apparently, he can. My MIL has tried to get home healthcare to the house, but they have been turned away by Jack, he has basically, we'll I don't know what, but it's like he won't let Gil out of his sight. My MIL found out yesterday that Gil was in the hospital again, she goes to see him, first thing, Jack and wife get in her face letting her know she has one day to get her stuff out of the house. Gil's son who is a lawyer is supposed to be there Sunday to see what he can do, but I have a feeling the damage is done. Jack & Co is now listed under family at the hospital and my MIL isn't allowed to see Gil.

Just before this really got going, my MIL, got Gil to a second doctor who thought Gil could get some help and have a chance of living a couple more years, I don't know where that's at right at the moment. Why my MIL chose to leave the house at night, I don't know, but she said she was just too scared he was going to die at any time and always checking to see if he was breathing and becoming a nervous wreck, well there was also his mind and not knowing who everyone one was and he still had loaded guns around the house that for whatever reason they couldn't get away from him, the deputies did come out and with the help of "Jack", they took all but one. I guess, Jack would have those now as well.

I'm hearing this second hand through my wife and I find myself asking her "What?" because to me a lot just doesn't make sense.

I wonder if the IRS would be interested in talking to Jack about Gil's money. Anyway, it's a good idea to know who your friends are, I don't think Jack will be my friend too soon.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a tough deal. Sorry to hear you are going through it.

If you have evidence that he was not sound in mind when executing the contract (the POA), then it can be invalided. But it would probably be a court battle, not a local law enforcement deal, to get that done.

Of course, the court battle could be drawn out until well after he passes, and when a vault of money is brought into light, well probate will pay all debts of the estate with that first.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My MIL is now saying she doesn't want anything left in the house and that's just another thing bothering me, that she is going to lose everything to this man after living with her boyfriend, and helping them with their business. And also after helping Jack so much during the time he almost lost his wife due to illness.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just went through something similar. Demonstrate that Jack is not of sound mind and wasnt at the time he signed any official documents and anything done can be undone.

PM me for more info if this isn't just a "my wife knows this guy who's brother..." scenario, its just being protrayed that way to protect the innocent.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My SIL called adult protective services and got a case against this Jack. I don't know what it means at the moment or if Jack has been notified as of yet.

Another thing, while they were in my MIL's face at the hospital, apparently they were trying to get her to sign some papers which we believe were the life insurance papers. My MIL is 72 years old, how great are these people.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the eviction laws like in Texas. I don't really believe that they can kick your MIL out that quickly. That sounds like a case of illegal eviction to me. That seems like a good place to start fighting this thing.

[/LIST]

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds criminal to me!

I can see where my mom could end up in the same situation, but she won't listen to anyone.

She trusts the guy she's been with for the last 20+ years to do the right thing.

I'm afraid she will get kicked out on her butt, with nothing, by his family, if he were to die.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have her get an attorney, NOW! they can't kick her out of the home and an attorney can probably help her prove he wasn't of sound mind when the scumbag partner tricked him into a PoA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom