Labs - pick your favorite? :-)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what 4yo lab will be like next season without his nuts, which he had removed a couple of weeks ago. It was a night and day difference in how laid back he is now, he sleeps more, sleeps harder, doesn't mark every vertical object in the yard, etc. Only one of them dropped and the vet nor myself had ever noticed. She said that nut that hadn't dropped, was too warm inside, and would produce too much testosterone, and almost always end up cancerous.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had three labs. 2 black and one yellow. First black was psychotic. After he got out and knocked up the dog down the street. We got a call from the PD to come pick him up.

Second black was perfect. Did not hit breed standards. He was to tall and had the frowned upon white shot I his chest. Probably the most loyal animal I have ever owned. Loved the water and would go on point on just about anything. I got him on a covey of quail once. You would have thought he was a Setter or Spanial.

Current lab is the lazy lard that has a hard time retrieving his own shadow. Not bred for sport. Yellow and has some hip issue. Good pet not a good working dog.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what 4yo lab will be like next season without his nuts, which he had removed a couple of weeks ago. It was a night and day difference in how laid back he is now, he sleeps more, sleeps harder, doesn't mark every vertical object in the yard, etc. Only one of them dropped and the vet nor myself had ever noticed. She said that nut that hadn't dropped, was too warm inside, and would produce too much testosterone, and almost always end up cancerous.

I can vouch for how ya feel when ya lose a nut. Im more laid back, I "rest" alot and I dont feel the urge to "mark" up my yard as much.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Actually, a retained testicle usually produces less testosterone, not more. Certainly true about the increased cancer risk though.
One of the best hunting dogs I've ever had the pleasure of hunting over was neutered for that very reason. RIP Gunner.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll go with black!

1536443_947640005300_776543658_n.jpg

1526434_948394997290_34183215_n.jpg

nos8ed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My black lab Harry is around 8-9 years old. Has a little hip problems but has been the absolute best dog I've ever had. Smart and loyal. Will still retrieve tennis balls all day long if I let him.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No actual statistics of 99%, just 40 years of goose hunting / guiding and hunting with numerous Labs; good and bad. Black is a dominate color, have seen 2 yellows mated and litter contained mostly black pups.

The only unloyal / unfriendly Labs I have encountered were those taught / trained to be mean / unfriendly. Hunting instinct is born in them, they either got it or not, you can't teach it. I have seen Labs of every color who couldn't find a biscuit in a bucket and I had a Lab (who happened to be black) that was hunting / retrieving dove at 11 weeks old. She would find a wounded goose after seeing it hit and glide for 1/4 mile, she wouldn't quit hunting until called. As soon as the gate was opened, she would load in the truck and sit until told to unload.

A co-worker had a black that would chase / retrieve tennis balls all day. Take him to the field and at first shot, he was in the truck whining. Tried numerous times to get him over gun shyness, never had any luck. Only dog I haven't been able to help. He was loyal and a great pet, but that was all he was, a pet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom