Ladies Concealed Carry Holster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robertson07

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok have have searched this forum over and over. Most threads are about what gun women should carry, or women who want to carry off body (in purse).

First off... I am about 5'3" around 150 have definite curves (ie not straight torso) and have a shorter torso.

I am planning on carrying on the body. I will be carrying an M&P 9mm Compact as of right now. If I can't conceal this then I may go to a smaller gun (before I would ever go for a purse holster), but I hope to be able to conceal this gun because I love it.

What holster, holster position, cant or no cant, would you suggest, or what set-up do you use that you prefer? What type of holster do you prefer for dressy work clothes or casual clothes?

Guys what do your wives do? Any input would be appreciated before I drop lots of $$$ on every type of holster known.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are doing much much more than most women. You are taking a active role in your own pers. safety. To join this forum and ask question is so much more than most women would ever do. My hat is off to you. If you have not already started then I recomend you start taking classes also.

Welcome to the board!

Robertson07

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My husband and I just took our Concealed Carry Class at Stillwater Armory and are planning on taking his Advanced Handgun Class that he offers in the fall. You can never have too much practice when it comes to personal safety because you ALWAYS fall back on the training and practice you have learned.

I have wondered about a mandatory every 3-5 years you had to have some type of continuing education or show that you went to a gun range and practiced, because frankly there are some people that are just not accurate (i mean if you miss the target in practice how bad will you be in a tense life or death situation) enough to be carring a gun. On the otherhand who wants more regulations on a right we have anyway?!?!?! I guess you just have to rely on everyone's sense of personal responsibility. :rant:

BUT I am trying to find the right holster to use before we take that class so I can practice with what I will actually be carrying. If I can't find a holster that will conceal my M&P then I need to find a smaller gun and a holster to fit THAT gun so I can practice with that one. I don't know any women (and only 1 guy) that carry so I can't test any set-ups.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Well, there's quite a few of us here in Stillwater that carry. Good for you for wanting to make carrying work with a normal size gun before immediately going to a peewee gun. Unfortunately, not only can my wife not carry at work due to rules, but also the dress code would make it very hard to conceal. Men's business dress is easy to conceal with, but women's is not.

There are a couple girls on here that carry, and one even carries a full size 1911, so someone should be able to offer good advice.

Do you have any kind of holster now?

IWB will be the easiest to conceal, especially if you don't want to wear large loose shirts. In general, there are two types of IWB, those with a single attachment right over the weapon,
[Broken External Image]

and those with two, one on either side.
[Broken External Image]

There are others that are different, but the vast majority fit those two basic designs. There are different cants (slope of the gun relative to the belt line), some hold the gun lower, some higher, some are adjustable, some are leather, some are kydex, etc.

There is another style that seems to be gaining popularity, just a single attachment point that is offset from the holster body.
awww.andrewsleather.com_macdaniel2_a.jpg

In my (granted limited) experience, the two attachment design doesn't work as well for those who are skinny, as it requires that the holster bend more than for those who are larger around the waist. If the two attachment design does work for you, then it *typically* is more stable and supports the weight of the weapon better. It also is thinner respectively as the attachment is not alongside the thickness of the weapon.

My advice, general since I'm a guy:
- get a good GUN belt.
- get loops instead of clips for the holster's belt attachment if possible.
- the single attachment in a straight vertical drop (barrel of gun is vertical) in a minimalist design is very versatile, and can be worn in many positions.

As to shape, specifics, and where to wear the gun, well that I can't help you on.

Oh, one last thing, any position you try, unless it doesn't conceal, will take a while to get used to. There's not going to be a magical holster and position that will feel like you're floating on air. Especially if you're not used to carrying at all yet, having the weight, and the bulk, of the gun on will be uncomfortable at first. So don't give up on a holster immediately because it doesn't feel right at first.

Robertson07

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, not only can my wife not carry at work due to rules, but also the dress code would make it very hard to conceal. Men's business dress is easy to conceal with, but women's is not.

I can't carry at work either :disappoin due to rules, but I still wear my work-type clothes for other occasions (like church). The only problem with dress pants is they do not do well with a heavy belt due to the way they are made. Some do not even have belt loops, so they are out of the question unless I do like the biker looking shorts with a holster in them. (has anyone tried those?)

There are a couple girls on here that carry, and one even carries a full size 1911, so someone should be able to offer good advice.
:ooh2:

Do you have any kind of holster now?

No, I currently do not have a holster. I need to go look at some gun belts trying to find a more femine/dresssy looking one might be difficult, I haven't worn a belt in probably 5-6 years, so that in and of itself will take some readjustment!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My wife has had to get used to wearing a belt too. For now she has a cheap all leather belt. Since she doesn't carry on person much it hasn't been an issue.

For the time being, I'd recommend getting a Don Hume or Uncle Mikes basic IWB. They are cheap, readily available, and you can try different carry positions with them. Once you've done that you might be a little more prepared to make a decision on a more expensive holster. Plus, you'll have something to use while you wait.

Smart Carry is something that might be an option if you can't use a belt. You may have to buy pants that are a size larger to accommodate the weapon. Typically a gun worn IWB will add 1" to 2" to the waistband size.

Security Six

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As Nikat's wife I figured I'd speak up :) As he said, unfortunately I am not allowed to carry at work. I also had to get used to wearing a belt again because I wore mostly wind suit pants and shorts throughout college. It really doesn't take that long to get comfortable with carrying on your person. And I feel a lot better carrying on my person than carrying in a purse. I do have an undershirt (Can't remember the brand) that has two pockets that close with Velcro that I wear from time to time. It is not the best option because it is harder to get to than if you carry on your belt but it does work well under shirts that you might not other wise be able to carry with. The shirt costs around $40 if I remember correctly. Nikat and I both bought one at the time. I will second what he said though and tell you to give holsters a chance...don't dislike it and decide no after using it just one or two times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom