Lady gun shopping - a wife's challenge, a husband's torment - long

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So. I really want to get a small CC pistol that weighs less than my beloved Stoeger Cougar but with enough firepower to protect myself, a few nuns, or a batch of scared marines should ISIS show their sorry butts while I'm at Wal-Mart replenishing my beef jerky stash.

I figured I'd stick with 9mm and dragged Husband over to Big Boys to look at a few. He's a revolver guy so we are already starting out with friction. Plus, he is a gun guy, knows way more than I do (just ask him) and he hovers. That whole in your personal space thing is great on a honeymoon but it wears thin over the decades, especially when you are trying to rack a slide and he's leaning over your shoulder monitoring your progress and reminding you to not point the gun at anyone. I looked at a SW Shield (sounds like a lot of guys on the forum like it), a small ruger, a Glock 42 (43?) and an Springfield XD. The second time Husband removed a pistol from my hand without permission, I smiled at the clerk, thanked him and walked out. I am sure he noted the steam coming out of my ears. I love the man with all my heart but why provoke an armed woman?

So, the next day, I went up to H&H ALONE. While there, I talked to a terrific lady gun instructor who was shopping, and handled another Shield and Springfield as well as a Berretta Nano and a Walther P22. I wanted to check out a Glock and a Ruger but for whatever reason, they were out. Much more relaxed flying solo. I liked the feel of the Shield, Walther and the Baretta. The Springfield felt "okay." Going on my own was the best plan, possible.

Today, I dragged Husband down to the range to shoot a few pistols and see how it went. I started out with the Shield. First of all - the magazine is retarded. Or I am. It was nearly as hard for my sad hands to load as is my Cougar magazine and I'd left my speed loader at home. Husband didn't offer to help, smart man. I liked the way it felt in my hand, it had a very manageable recoil, I liked the trigger and it was darn accurate. So that was a winner.

I then tried the Glock 43 and was so excited because I've heard such good things about it. The magazine was super easy to load (who knew this was a thing? I thought they were all torturous). It felt good in my hand. But... I didn't really like it. It had an unpleasant recoil. It kept throwing brass right in my face like it had a mean streak. I mean, it seemed intentional. It was quite accurate and I hit the X and mostly in the center circle. But, no. No fun to fire. Disappointed because I had such high expectations.

I then was REALLY excited to try the Ruger. I have an SR22 and love it and expected to love this one, too. The magazine was easy to load. But then I picked it up. Oh no. Hated it as soon as I held it in a shooting position. It did NOT fit my hand. All the buttons and the whole grip were just - off. It was like it had been crafted for a different species or something. Only goes to show what a huge difference that can make, individually. I shot it and hated the trigger. HATED it. It was tossing brass around - mildly as compared to the Glock but way more than the Shield. The recoil was fine and it was actually pretty accurate at the target - as good as the Shield but I truly took a dislike to the thing. It was personal.

I next tried a Bersa. Again, easy to load the magazine (you have no idea what a big deal this was to me) but I didn't really like how it fit in my hand and the recoil was distracting. It was shooting to the right so I didn't really trust it. Just not fun and I didn't see anything to make me want to bring it home.

I got around to the Springfield XD and I didn't know anything about the gun and didn't expect much. The magazine was pretty easy to load and then I took it up to the lane. I liked how it felt in my hand and when I shot it, OMG, I loved it. I was so surprised! The recoil was just nothing, there was no brass attacking me, the trigger was sane and it was super accurate - I hit the X and filled up the center circle. I'd had such low expectations that I came out of the lane to swap out for the next pistol and was just staring at it. Husband asked me if something was wrong and I told him my mind was blown.

I decided to shoot it some more, reloaded it and practiced shooting it at different parts of the target and at different distances. It was accurate, throughout.

I then went back and retried the Shield (to compare) and also shot a couple of heavier guns just because I had time and ammo.

There are a couple of pistols I'd still like to try and I am worried the Springfield will still be heavier than I want for a CC. This has been fun for me, not so much for poor Husband.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey there nice lady. :wave:

First and foremost, welcome to OKShooters. I'll give you the old-school welcome...

:greetings:greetings:greetings

Kudos to you for wanting to arm yourself and become a citizen NOT a victim. :thumb:

As for your choices, you are on the right track, just remember that ALL teeny, tiny pocket sized guns are gonna have felt recoil. that's just the way it is. I have probably owned more pistols here than anybody :rolleyes2 and I gotta say that while you may like the Springfield, you will have better luck with customer service and resale with the Shield or the Glock. But...that's strictly your decision.

As for not taking your hubby with you? That's kind of a good idea, but then again, he knows a lot about firearms and could be an asset to you during your search for just the right weapon...which actually doesn't exist. Hell, I've been searching for the "perfect" pistol for over 25 years. Haven't found it yet.

You might also wanna checkout www.corneredcat.com You can learn a lot from Kathy. She teaches from a woman's perspective.

Again...good luck to you and thanks for becoming a member here at our humble forum. Check in and post often! :sunbath:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice writeup. Welcome as well.

You are right on the Shield... great gun, HORRIBLE magazines. I just can't get over it. WTH were they thinking? I got one for my wife, but there's no way she can load the last round in each of the mags, and she's no slouch or princess. XD is one I haven't tried out of all the guns I've shot. I definitely want to try one. I used to hate Glocks, but now I've got a couple and realize I can work with them for their benefits over my 1911s - namely capacity, reliability and durability. The XD is high on my list of ones to try, though.

Thanks again for a great writeup, AND for great insight into a woman's perspective of a man's... shall we say, enthusiasm? lol I'll try to keep that in mind when shooting with my wife. ;)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So why did you have to drag him to the gun shop?

I'd be jumping up and down if my wife asked to go.

Check out the Sig 938, Glock 43 for CC. Small, easily concealable and reliable.

Reliable being the key word.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife I went to Wilshire where she could try out a few pistols for her to carry.
She tried 5 and between the Glocks (26,43) and the XD, she liked the Ruger SR9C and the Sig P938. Both shot well and felt good in the hand.

Good write-up on your adventure.

hdbrownie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who hates loading the mag for my shield. I thought I was just weak. Just kidding. I would never think that. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
So why did you have to drag him to the gun shop?

I'd be jumping up and down if my wife asked to go.

Check out the Sig 938, Glock 43 for CC. Small, easily concealable and reliable.

Reliable being the key word.
Hahaha, initially he was happy to go with me until I got steamed and let him know about it. It took some, ahem, high volume persuading to get him to go with me to the range, thereafter - lip was out of joint - but we both ended up having fun and are going back, next week. The Sig 938 was damaged so I couldn't test fire it but I do want to check it out, thanks. I personally didn't care for the Glock 43 as it seemed to have it in for me when I tested it. I know it is a good gun - just didn't fit well for me for some reason.

Reaction score
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who hates loading the mag for my shield. I thought I was just weak. Just kidding. I would never think that. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I am narrowing down my search and that torturous Shield mag is the number one thing against it. Honestly, what is up with that? If they can consider recoil and size when pitching to the ladies, how can they overlook something that really does take some hand strength even with decent technique? Loading my Stoeger Couger is worse. Right before Christmas a friend saw me struggling with it and suggested a loader. There is a loader for those things? OMG, ignorance is hell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom