Lady gun shopping - a wife's challenge, a husband's torment - long

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sil I noticed a lack of a couple guns on your list that we have and really like.

My wife and I both carry an M&P 9c. It's a little bit heavier than the Shield, but holds five more rounds at 13, has adjustable sized backstraps and seems to have slightly less recoil. You can also reload with a full size, 17 round mag if you like.

Also, I carry around the house and my wife jogs with a Ruger LC9s Pro. Great trigger, lightweight without a lot of recoil and very thin. Carries 8 rounds with one chambered and you can buy an extended 9 round mag.

Just two more to think about. It seems like you have a good process down on making a good decision. It is ok to own more than one or two as well. �� Different occasions call for options. The more tools in the toolbox the more options one has.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sil I noticed a lack of a couple guns on your list that we have and really like.

My wife and I both carry an M&P 9c. It's a little bit heavier than the Shield, but holds five more rounds at 13, has adjustable sized backstraps and seems to have slightly less recoil. You can also reload with a full size, 17 round mag if you like.

Also, I carry around the house and my wife jogs with a Ruger LC9s Pro. Great trigger, lightweight without a lot of recoil and very thin. Carries 8 rounds with one chambered and you can buy an extended 9 round mag.

Just two more to think about. It seems like you have a good process down on making a good decision. It is ok to own more than one or two as well. �� Different occasions call for options. The more tools in the toolbox the more options one has.

Of course, they Have to match your shoes... ;)

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Older but not always wiser on this subject.....I started my wife shooting handguns in 1970 or thereabouts. And she can shoot, trust me. Anyways, then there wasn't the selection of semis there are now. The first one she carried was a S&W 60 .38 special. After a few years she graduated to a J Frame 357. Now she carries a J Frame 32 H&R Mag (6 shots). She has tried several 380's and 9 MM's over the years. Her theory ( and mine ) is that if things ever get serious and she has to pull the weapon, all she has to remember is pull the trigger till it runs empty. It's not going to fail to eject (and she has to clear it), it's not going to fail to feed (and she has to work the slide), it's not going to stovepipe one, if you have a fail-to-fire, .....etc. Guy's (and ladies) unless you want to run several clips a week thru one and it just becomes first nature to think of all the problems that can happen when it gets down and dirty....PLEASE take a look at a light weight revolver (reliable) for those ladies walking by your side. Yeah, I don't think S&W makes that little 32 Mag anymore, I wish they did. Then I could supply one for the granddaughters too. I have 3 of them for the ladies in my family, and if anyone has one that doesn't like it drop me a note on here and I'll be by to pick it up.
I know I don't post a lot on here, but trust me, when I do I hope that it's something to think about and ponder on.

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks.....I'm going to the SHOT Show next week in Vegas, I'll drop by the Ruger booth and play with the LCR in 327 a little while.....
also have several other goodies I been hearing about to fondle. Anybody else need anything checked out? I plan on trying to find a GOOD thermal imaging scope to fondle and maybe bring home. Anybody on this thread have any reviews on thermal imaging scopes?

Reaction score
I ended up getting a 9mm SW Shield. I could have been happy with a couple others but it fits my hand, I liked shooting it and the price and size/weight were right for a carry gun. Hopefully, I will get out to the range in the next few days to start breaking it in. Pretty excited about that.

Bubbaokie, Husband carries a small SW Revolver for all the same reasons you mentioned and I considered doing it, as well. Thanks to all for the thoughtful pointers.

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got back from the SHOT show and had a ball (as usual). I got to fondle a lot of new goodies and revisited a few from last several years. Saw a lot of new ones, but didn't really fall in love with any of them. Wasn't overly impressed with the new Rock River 45's or the Kimber revolver. The newer ruger 380 shows some promise...can't remember the model, they said trigger was better, etc. I need to run a few clips thru something before I give it a thumbs up. Prices seem to be getting better on thermal imaging scopes. I need to get in better shape next year. That is a lot of walking for an old man...LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom