Lady gun shopping - a wife's challenge, a husband's torment - long

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thermal imaging stuff is way over priced considering what technology is used. I'm sure if it sold through Walmart the supply and demand thing would bring it down.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up getting a 9mm SW Shield. I could have been happy with a couple others but it fits my hand, I liked shooting it and the price and size/weight were right for a carry gun. Hopefully, I will get out to the range in the next few days to start breaking it in. Pretty excited about that.

Bubbaokie, Husband carries a small SW Revolver for all the same reasons you mentioned and I considered doing it, as well. Thanks to all for the thoughtful pointers.

Good choice on pistol. I have the Shield in .40 for my CCW. Wife can't shoot it due to limp wristing and lack of experience. See the link below. shield mags from most store are fairly expensive. Quantico Tactical has a three pack of 7 round mags for $78. Can never have too many mags and this is a great price. FYI.

http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=2891&type=C&subCatNum=36&CMN=Pistol

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the first handguns I shot was a Ruger sp101 loaded with .38 special.

I seriously couldn't believe how pleasant it was to shoot. If you're like me, though, revolvers take a ton of practice and discipline to fire accurately. Still, I wouldn't rule them out, which it kind of sounds like you have from your posts.

Don't get anything like an "airweight" if recoil is your concern. Go for heavier designs with full or partial lugs. Most stainless J or K frames would work, as would the sp101 I mentioned. The sp101 weighs about 6-8 ounces less than the cougar unloaded, and probably even less loaded since it has less shells in it.

I assume you've shot some of your husband's, and if you just aren't a revolver gal, it's whatever. I'm not either, really. But I've yet to find a smaller gun that was softer shooting. But if you change your mind, the shield will sell in a flash, as they appear to be the go-to CCW recommendation nowadays.

Latest posts

Top Bottom