Lawton Cobalt Refinery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy oh boy. They’ve been negotiating for the first cobalt refinery in the nation to be built right here in little ol’ Lawton for a couple years now. Everyone has had the opportunity to express their support and concerns and Westwin broke ground I believe it was August, 2023. I should note the refinery is within city limits, one block south of the Goodyear refinery near the Bar S plant as well.
Out of the blue a group of Kiowa, Apache and Comanches are stirring up trouble. “We weren’t consulted.” “You’re violating sacred land.” They’re referring to the Wichita Mountains with its closest being almost 11 miles away. “You’re stripping away our sovereignty.” Seriously!! One of the most vocal is a woman that isn’t even a member of a local tribe. My impression is just about everywhere is considered “sacred” and these bozos had years to express their concerns but have chosen to make trouble after the fact. Everyone has a right to their opinions but it seems this group believes their opinions are more valid than everyone else’s.
Once completed this plant will employ 300-500 people, bring much needed revenue to the city and wait for it…..Make us less dependent on stinkin’ China. 🤷🏼‍♂️

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy oh boy. They’ve been negotiating for the first cobalt refinery in the nation to be built right here in little ol’ Lawton for a couple years now. Everyone has had the opportunity to express their support and concerns and Westwin broke ground I believe it was August, 2023. I should note the refinery is within city limits, one block south of the Goodyear refinery near the Bar S plant as well.
Out of the blue a group of Kiowa, Apache and Comanches are stirring up trouble. “We weren’t consulted.” “You’re violating sacred land.” They’re referring to the Wichita Mountains with its closest being almost 11 miles away. “You’re stripping away our sovereignty.” Seriously!! One of the most vocal is a woman that isn’t even a member of a local tribe. My impression is just about everywhere is considered “sacred” and these bozos had years to express their concerns but have chosen to make trouble after the fact. Everyone has a right to their opinions but it seems this group believes their opinions are more valid than everyone else’s.
Once completed this plant will employ 300-500 people, bring much needed revenue to the city and wait for it…..Make us less dependent on stinkin’ China. 🤷🏼‍♂️
My Indian wife saw some of the meeting video, and so did I. (she is very sympathetic to tribal concerns) So - after learning the details she said "what are they bitching about if it's not on their land?"

Words can't illustrate how much I love that woman. More sense than most men I know.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to establish a precedent in order to sue for money down the road.

Even if they lose the first round, they would then have grounds to appeal.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In all fairness the chairman of the Comanche nation is in support of the plant and is catching hell over it. From what I’ve seen he’s a good guy.
Most of the Indians I know are not represented well by the outspoken activists of the tribes. Makes it sound like everyone down there would be content to live in the bliss that is Lawton, and would HATE a bunch of high paying jobs.

Now why do you suppose a noisy activist wouldn't want his people to have good jobs and be independent? Hmmm?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been fun to watch conservatives defend the EV battery manufacturing supply chain all the while the left crucifies it. Just goes to show, nobody wants to know how the hotdogs are made.

Latest posts

Top Bottom