Lead in a .45acp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not real familiar with reloading for semi-autos; what's the consensus on using cast lead bullets for a .45acp? Some guys I know say they don't really want to shoot anything but jacketed out of theirs, while some reload cast bullets for theirs. Any leading issues that would mess with the semi-auto any more than a revolver? My Redhawk always loved 240gr SWCs. Just don't want to gum up a .45 or other semi, but cast is a whole lot cheaper than buying jacketed. Thanks.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time any of my .45 autos had a jacketed bullet fired in them. I mainly use 230 gr lead round nose from Williams Hard Cast (now J&K). When I run out of these I'll get some more.

A good hard cast bullet is just fine in the .45. I think I'd avoid the swaged bullets since they are pretty much pure lead.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard lead will do fine in most firearms. However, if yours has some kind of funny rifling, like Glock, stay away from it. Way too hard to clean out. Don't ask me how I know.

Also, when I use lead, I usually will fire a couple FMJs at the end of the session. Seems to help getting most of the lead out.

Notice I said "hard" lead in the beginning. There is a difference, and soft lead will coat up a barrel fast!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a conventional-rifled barrel and ordinary loads, I've found the .45 ACP to be one of the easier calibers for cast lead bullets. Super hard lead is not needed, and any reasonable lead alloy seems to work well. For example ordinary wheelweights softened a bit with lead and lubed with any good lube (I use ALOX) shoot OK for me.
Now if you're trying to turn the .45 ACP into a magnum, that's more of a problem. It also helps if you barrel is smooth, and you keep both the lead and copper cleaned out of it. Lead and copper stick to each other really well.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been many billions of cast bullets shot out of 1911 .45s. Don't worry at all. I've went through 1000 trouble free J&Ks in my SA TRP and I don't shoot .45 very much because brass is kind of scarce.

I've shot several thousand through my 9mm and pretty much all the same principles apply to it. I think that autos are actually more trouble free than revolvers in this regard.

WILLARD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not had any issues with my 1911 shooting lead. I use 200 gr. RNFP from Missouri Bullet Co. in my 45. 125 gr, Small Ball in the 9mm.
I have ran Meister, Mo. Bullet Co and am currently using J&K bullet casters in my 1911 and know leading issues what so ever as long as you clean the barrel on a regular basis.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never ever had a leading problem in my 1911 and I have shot thousands of rounds of lead bullets thru it, my Blackhawk however is a different story, it will lead up in as little as 18 rounds with either the 45 lc or acp cyl.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot thousands of lead reloads through my 1911's and never had a problem. I prefer the 230 grain lead truncated cone as it feeds well in anything I have owned. I actually have less problems with it than I do the 230 grain round nose. The harder the better in my experience. If your bore is pretty smooth, leading isn't much of a problem, if it has some rough spots or pitting, then it becomes a chore to keep it clean. I usually run a bore snake through mine about every 300 rounds or so just to keep it honest. Go for it and enjoy the additional shooting.. Blitzfike

streetglideok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loading 200gr SWC Lasercasts for my 1911s here. Little more smoke vs our 40's which shoot fmj. Using HP38(231) behind them, around 5.6gr I believe and 1.265 OAL. Would have to double check. Have been 100% reliable. Tempted in going with plated or FMJ to lose some of the smoke though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom