Learn me some AR, please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The types of Muzzle brakes are endless. If you don't wear your hearing protection, you will be deaf shortly, and the people around you at the range will also be shortly.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.
It seems that for my purposes the DPMS Oracle I bought should be fine out-of-the-box.
I made some changes to make it mine...stock, grip, optics...but it looks as if that's all I'm going to need.

Does anyone have an opinion on poly mags vs. metal mags? Positives or negative for either?

Just add lube, and plenty of it. This is the #1 mistake many AR shooters make is not enough lube. Just run it wet and it will run when dirty, but not vice-versa.

I use P-Mags pretty much exclusively these days, but many metal mags will work as well, particularly id equipped with Magpul anti-tilt followers.

I will say that a decent trigger makes a big difference to me in shootability. Either a set of JP springs and speed cut on the hammer, or go big with a Geissele set and you're done there. Unless I'm shooting past 300, a free float is a nicety but not necessary. If you're going to use it for defense, add a light and a good sling. A standard A2 birdcage will work just fine unless you get into speed shooting, then research comp effectiveness and blast before selecting. Pretty much the most aggressive I'll use is the BattleComp. I'm putting a Kies Blast Master on my 6.8 build, which might get used for hunting.

Enjoy your rifle! :)

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the average shooter these things are meaningless. Just a big waste of money by people with too much of it.
For a competition shooter every little edge helps.

Just remember, when putting on all this stuff and spending all that money. You will probably never recoupe your investment when you sell it.

Agree with ed^^^^^^

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.
It seems that for my purposes the DPMS Oracle I bought should be fine out-of-the-box.
I made some changes to make it mine...stock, grip, optics...but it looks as if that's all I'm going to need.

Does anyone have an opinion on poly mags vs. metal mags? Positives or negative for either?

I run both mapguls and metal import mags. both work well, Neither give any trouble. If you store poly mags loaded for any length of time, make sure to use the pop on covers as the pressure will cause the feet to spread on the mag.

The rest of the add on's are just man jewelry for the average dude. 4 rail hand guards look great and are fun for about a minute. Then it starts to have that cheese grater feel. If you wanna go that way, get covers. Iron sights are always a good idea to know how to use. I keep a set of MBUS sights on my ar's for when the battery dies in the EOTech (which has happened a number of times). thats the down side of fancy shmancy red dot sights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom