Learned a lesson

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bought a new Encore 50 X 209 at the gunshow saturday with the forearm and fiber optic sights for $210. I thought I was doing pretty good. Last night I had decided to try it out.
Now, I am in the habit of firing my BP every time I leave the woods, so I failed to check this barrel to see if it was loaded, after all, I bought it at the gunshow, so it wouldn't be loaded, right?
I was trying to beat the sun setting, so I loaded 100 grains and a Hornady SST and I didn't pay attention to how far the ramrod plunged into the barrel.
I got set up on target, placed my 209, pulled the trigger, and something different happened. First, It felt like I had shot a 416 rigby. 2 flaming balls of crap came out at mach 5. :oops3:
Another lesson learned.

Sorry for the paragraph, I figured someone could use a good laugh. I know my buddies sure did. :laughup:

My question is: Do you leave your smokepole loaded all season, or do you unload it every evening like me?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I leave it loaded. I fail to see any reason to fire/unload it unless you just absolutely drenched it.

My dad has left his TC caplock loaded for an entire year before, and it still fired.:rolleyes2 :eek:

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I cleaned the hell out of it last night and it looks ok, but I have not fired it again. I'll just have to use my Kodiak until I have time to shoot the Encore barrel again. I am happy it didn't blow up. That might've ruined my day.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it is wet, I unload and reload every day but if dry, about every 3 days. I usually just remove the breach plug and push the old load out so I will not have to clean it again.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I leave it loaded. I fail to see any reason to fire/unload it unless you just absolutely drenched it.

My dad has left his TC caplock loaded for an entire year before, and it still fired.:rolleyes2 :eek:

I don't shoot it as a saftey concern or because I'm worried about misfires. I just like to shoot and I do it whenever the opportunity arises. My smokepoles don't get much trigger time and it always makes me smile to see that plume of smoke.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your lucky. Your day could have really gone south.
To answer your question, I leave the last load in mine at the end of season.

A co-worker forgot to take out his ramrod last year. The recoil was so bad that it burst some small blood vessels in his eye.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No doubt I'm lucky and I will never have that happen again. I have learned my lesson.

We figured that if 150 grains was a magnum load, I must have shot and ultra mag or a nitro load. Lucky I didn't have another load in my britches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom