Learned a lesson

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No doubt I'm lucky and I will never have that happen again. I have learned my lesson.

We figured that if 150 grains was a magnum load, I must have shot and ultra mag or a nitro load. Lucky I didn't have another load in my britches.

Most likely, the second load didn't go off. The recoil and pressure developed because of the second bullet doubling the weight is what caused all the ruckus.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are so lucky. Glad you are O.K. Rifles can always be replaced.

As for your question, I leave mine loaded all season unless, like someone else mentioned, the weather turns wet. Then, I'll fire it off, clean it up, and reload.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, a 15-year-old is dead in Jackson county because dad left the muzzleloader loaded and sitting behind the door all year.
A visiting teen who knew nothing about gun safety picked up the muzzleloader and fired it.

Leaving loaded guns where visiting kids can get their hands on them is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND FOOLISH. YOUR kids may be trained, BUT WHAT ABOUT THEIR FRIENDS?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, a 15-year-old is dead in Jackson county because dad left the muzzleloader loaded and sitting behind the door all year.
A visiting teen who knew nothing about gun safety picked up the muzzleloader and fired it.

Leaving loaded guns where visiting kids can get their hands on them is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND FOOLISH. YOUR kids may be trained, BUT WHAT ABOUT THEIR FRIENDS?

I don't have kids at home anymore, but even if I did, it resides in one of the safes.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is downright scary. I bet she did kick back like a wild mule.I'm glad you're alright and that you are sharing this for others to learn from as well. Let us know how she shoots a regular load.

RackStacker30

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whew! Glad things turned out the way they did. Someone sent me an email a couple months back about blackpowder rifle accidents and there were some seriously nasty pictures of people's wounds in it.

I leave mine loaded all season and remove the load after the last hunt by removing the breach plug.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
personally i would of pulled the plug and looked at the bore if i bought a used gun. especially if i had no knowledge of the gun before loading it.

V@rmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought an old CVA Hawken from another friend several years ago. He had it for a couple of years before he took it out to fire it. He scrubbed the bore and put a cap on it to see if the nipple was clear. Luckily he had it pointed in a safe direction when he pulled the trigger because it had been loaded for who knows how long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom