learning how to weld---step one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve done it all at one time or another in a non professional basis.
Mostly a stick welder now. I can see the difference between the start of a project and the finish in the visible appearance because you get back into the rhythm of running the stick.
That being said, visible appearance means nothing.
It can look like the prettiest weld ever and have no penetration, falling apart with a hammer strike.
Good welders can make a fab shop a lot of money and are in demand as a craft.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done some welding in the 3 or 4 most common types, arc welding, mig, Tig, & oxy-cetylene. Non professional, just a hobby/tinker welder.
Arc & oxy-cetylene taught to me by my grandpa.
Learned mig & very little Tig in high school.

But I do know one thing,
No matter how many times I have tried, I can't seem to get an arc established & do any welding if I don't attach the ground cable.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have done some welding in the 3 or 4 most common types, arc welding, mig, Tig, & oxy-cetylene. Non professional, just a hobby/tinker welder.
Arc & oxy-cetylene taught to me by my grandpa.
Learned mig & very little Tig in high school.

But I do know one thing,
No matter how many times I have tried, I can't seem to get an arc established & do any welding if I don't attach the ground cable.
I agree! Even as much as I weld I still forget the ground clamp occasionally. You go to strike up and immediately realize duh I didn't ground it. Now what does screw my mind up for a few seconds is my plasma cutter. It will actually strike an arc and cut just so so without being grounded to where you don't immediately think duh I forgot the ground. It's happened enough that it's starting to train my brain but the first few times I noticed an issue I checked air, tips, material cleanliness and standoff before realizing that I forgot to ground it.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was welding one time with a high frequency machine and my boss was working on the other end of the same unit I struck up and my boss screamed I raised my hood and didn’t see anyone so I did it again and he really screamed and then started cussing come to find out he was half way in a man way and was sitting on my ground and he was all sweaty every time I cranked the high frequency up it bit him in the rearend lol

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learned to weld and oxy-cet in jr high metal shop. Didn't have MIG or TIG back then. Love to stick weld for fun now, but don't have a welder anymore. Used to make metal sculptures.

Latest posts

Top Bottom