Stacking dimes! (Learning to weld)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I'm bad lol. My first 20 minutes or so of welding haha.

The bottom 3rd is where I didn't realize it wasn't flux cored so it was regular wire with no gas lol. Mostly been playing with flux core.

And yeah I'm using some AR500 targets for my temporary surface lol.

Sure is fun though I find myself looking for random stuff around the house to weld on lol.

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpg
    IMG_2634.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 5

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The bottom 3rd is where I didn't realize it wasn't flux cored so it was regular wire with no gas lol. Mostly been playing with flux core.

Sure is fun though I find myself looking for random stuff around the house to weld on lol.

What did you get? I recently picked up a Hobart. I have only stick welded in my life. This has been a joy to learn.

IMG_4239.jpegIMG_4234.jpeg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I was hot stuff when I first started MIG welding, producing welds on two pieces of steel joined at right angles. One day, my neighbor who’d been welding for decades came over because he saw the glow of the welding through the open overhead door, and he saw one such weld I’d done. After listening quietly to my bragging, he picked up a hammer and whacked the vertical piece of steel, breaking the weld and sending the piece skittering across the shop floor. “Not bad, but add more heat,” was his comment, and he left.

I got quite humble after that.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Good on you for picking it up. Just keep practicing. Welding is an extremely useful skill to learn. Right now I'm running a little Miller machine. I learned on a stick machine, but have to admit little migs are really handy to have around the house.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good on you for picking it up. Just keep practicing. Welding is an extremely useful skill to learn. Right now I'm running a little Miller machine. I learned on a stick machine, but have to admit little migs are really handy to have around the house.

Yeah this thing will weld all I ever need probably. It can run mig and stick. Ill never be a tik tok welder lol. Once I get a bit more experience ill weld up some coupons and take them to work and xray them lol. It is super fun though. i thought i wanted to get into wood working but this has me hooked.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Yeah this thing will weld all I ever need probably. It can run mig and stick. Ill never be a tik tok welder lol. Once I get a bit more experience ill weld up some coupons and take them to work and xray them lol. It is super fun though. i thought i wanted to get into wood working but this has me hooked.
Your goal should be able to weld anything but the crack of dawn or a broken heart.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a titanium unlimited 140 from harbor freight. It’s been fun playing, went back and got a plasma cutter too. Here’s a picture of my first shot at aluminum. Someone told me there are welders and there are grinders. I’m a great grinder….lol

IMG_0115.jpeg
IMG_0116.jpeg
IMG_0116.jpeg
IMG_0117.jpeg
IMG_0118.jpeg
IMG_0120.jpeg
IMG_0124.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpeg
    IMG_0121.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0122.jpeg