Stacking dimes! (Learning to weld)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah he’s on a different level with his tig for sure. “Oh just walk the cup” he says.
I need more practice say I. I’m beginning to get better at making my self get in a more comfortable position and propping on something. Stability sure helps control arc length etc.
Every time I try to TIG because of my eyesight the filler rod touches the electrode and I burn my hand holding the filler rod. It only takes a split second for that sucker to either get hot or the electricity flows through it but it bites, hard!

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s the Titanium 45. Yes air compressor would be required. You can it with a bottle but would be more costly

A good-sized air compressor is a must, as the process of plasma cutting goes through a lot of air! I have a 60 gallon 150 PSI 220V compressor, and it cycles even with a full tank when I‘m cutting a foot or two of metal.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good-sized air compressor is a must, as the process of plasma cutting goes through a lot of air! I have a 60 gallon 150 PSI 220V compressor, and it cycles even with a full tank when I‘m cutting a foot or two of metal.
Yep and dry air is important too.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every time I try to TIG because of my eyesight the filler rod touches the electrode and I burn my hand holding the filler rod. It only takes a split second for that sucker to either get hot or the electricity flows through it but it bites, hard!
Well part of tigging is dabbing well I reckon but there’s always the lay wire method. Depending on the joint type and material it may work just as well.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well part of tigging is dabbing well I reckon but there’s always the lay wire method. Depending on the joint type and material it may work just as well.
I read a white paper several years ago and they had lab tests where solid wire Mig in 100% Argon achieved 98% of the yield strength of SMAW, all other factors approximately being equal. My favorite will always be SMAW, but you can’t argue against the efficiency of MIG. The process that fascinates me and I’ll probably never get to mess with is plasma beam fusion. The goal is indiscernible heat affected zone and homogeneous condensation of alloys with uniform carbide formation but a lot of that is pre and post process when you’re picking nits. It’s easy if you say it fast. 😛

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to look em up…lol. Yes sir.
Kwaynem can you please sham us with some of your work. I hear mighty fine things about it.
Lol I haven’t welded with hard wire mig in a long time I don’t have any pictures mostly tig and subarc some fluxcore mig occasionally I have been doing this for a living for over 30 years in the industry I’m in if you bust 2 X-rays your gone so you learn quick

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s the Titanium 45. Yes air compressor would be required. You can it with a bottle but would be more costly
That is what my son says. How come they advertise the plasmas as "ready to go" and "portable" "take it anywhere"?

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is what my son says. How come they advertise the plasmas as "ready to go" and "portable" "take it anywhere"?
Because they are. You just have to take a hoss compressor with a good dryer on it too. 😉

Actually they do make some now days with some kind of internal compressor, but I don’t think they’re rated for very much. I could be completely full of it. I generally am...

Latest posts

Top Bottom