Stacking dimes! (Learning to weld)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah he’s on a different level with his tig for sure. “Oh just walk the cup” he says.
I need more practice say I. I’m beginning to get better at making my self get in a more comfortable position and propping on something. Stability sure helps control arc length etc.
Yeah Ive def noticed if I try to just hold it I have trouble keeping my distance and stuff good. I would not have made a good surgeon lol

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my last welding project. I’ve been practicing on and off since about 2000 and probably have a couple hundred hours in it, but I still learn something everytime turn the machine on. Most of my instruction is from YouTube. If YouTube was around when I started, I’d probably be better at it. I still consider myself an amateur/ novice but I like to run beads once in a while and it’s a great skill to learn!

IMG_7083.jpeg

IMG_7087.jpeg

This dude is a machinist but is a great welder. What I’ve learned from him is patience when I run a bead.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like everyone else but kwaynem, I’m a gorilla welder. It holds together but can be ugly.
Welding is like being an artist or athlete.
You don’t go for the win or work of art without training and experience.
Welding once a month and expecting a stack of dimes probably isn’t going to happen.
I will say one thing I’m expert at is filling in holes when welding thin stuff by not moving fast enough.
Tap, Tap, grind, tap, tap and so on.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my last welding project. I’ve been practicing on and off since about 2000 and probably have a couple hundred hours in it, but I still learn something everytime turn the machine on. Most of my instruction is from YouTube. If YouTube was around when I started, I’d probably be better at it. I still consider myself an amateur/ novice but I like to run beads once in a while and it’s a great skill to learn!

View attachment 399066

View attachment 399067

This dude is a machinist but is a great welder. What I’ve learned from him is patience when I run a bead.

I watch him quite a bit. Machining is another Id like to learn lol, maybe someday. He does some pretty impressive stuff for being a solo dude.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took the intro to cutting/welding course at Tulsa Tech earlier this year and I enjoyed it. The intro course covers fuel/oxy cutting, plasma, stick, mig, flux core, and TIG. You get enough time doing each of them to have a basic familiarization. I'm taking another evening class pretty soon and you can choose what welding method of welding you want to focus on for the entire course. I'm going to spend time this next class learning more about stick weld because I've got an old Miller and a Lincoln AC/DC stick welder at home.

Here's a pic of some padding done with a 6010 rod on my first try.
1691250422157.jpeg

Last edited:

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a titanium unlimited 140 from harbor freight. It’s been fun playing, went back and got a plasma cutter too. Here’s a picture of my first shot at aluminum. Someone told me there are welders and there are grinders. I’m a great grinder….lol

View attachment 398791View attachment 398792View attachment 398792View attachment 398793View attachment 398794View attachment 398795View attachment 398798
Which plasma cutter did you get? Does it require the addition of an air compressor to work?

Latest posts

Top Bottom