Stacking dimes! (Learning to weld)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Vulcan OmniPro 220 (a HF machine). I can join two pieces of metal with a stick or MiG torch reasonably well.

The TiG torch for this welder was recently on sale at HF and I had $55 in HF money to spend. I still haven't tried it but I will once it cools off a bit and I can stand to work in the shop. I have a blast welding and playing with the plasma cutter.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to play with my welder more. In my limited use it has been extremely handy and has saved me money. Hasn’t paid for itself yet though. I ended up buying an Esab Rebel. Great unit, but probably more welder than I’ll ever need.

“A grinder and paint, makes me the welder I ain’t”

Last edited:

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only do stick welding because I don't like having to rely on someone to supply gas if things go south. Like most of these I can stick two pieces of metal together, and welded my aluminum boat deck up myself. I wouldn't trust myself to build a skyscraper, but I'm living proof any idiot can stick weld "good enough" with about a week of practice and a youtube video.

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bad thing or down side of mig is lack of penetration masked or hidden by good visual appearance.

Especially with the smaller 110 volt machines.

Also for summer welding in Oklahoma; sweat is electrily conductive. Ouch.

I picked up a Lincoln tig/stick five years ago. Have done a few projects. It's definitely nice to be able glue pieces of metal together.

I have used the tig function the most. My aluminum welding still sucks.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I'm bad lol. My first 20 minutes or so of welding haha.

The bottom 3rd is where I didn't realize it wasn't flux cored so it was regular wire with no gas lol. Mostly been playing with flux core.

And yeah I'm using some AR500 targets for my temporary surface lol.

Sure is fun though I find myself looking for random stuff around the house to weld on lol.
Yeah I'm bad lol. My first 20 minutes or so of welding haha.

The bottom 3rd is where I didn't realize it wasn't flux cored so it was regular wire with no gas lol. Mostly been playing with flux core.

And yeah I'm using some AR500 targets for my temporary surface lol.

Sure is fun though I find myself looking for random stuff around the house to weld on lol.
This is why we need a pic of the other side of the metal. :)

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m out of practice but here are a few. On the farm sometimes you have to make your own puller. I burn hot. 😎
BTW this was still on the brush hog so it was above my head while semi laying/sitting down. I used a 3/4” impact and the welds held up like a champ. So well that it took quite a bit of grinding to get it back smooth once I cut the puller off.

Attachments

• IMG_1328.jpeg
    IMG_1328.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been welding most of my life, but I’m still just a “dirt dauber”. The welds hold up good, but they’re definitely not pretty to look at.

@kwaynem embarrasses me when I see his welds.
Yeah he’s on a different level with his tig for sure. “Oh just walk the cup” he says.
I need more practice say I. I’m beginning to get better at making my self get in a more comfortable position and propping on something. Stability sure helps control arc length etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom