Left lane road hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okey-Dokey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oddly enough, this is a major problem. Take Arizona, I was pulled over for driving in the passing only lane. No signs or anything that I saw stating such. The passing lane is smooth as can be and the right lane beats your kidneys. Got off with a warning but I did mention the rough right lane.

Maybe his back hurt. The left lane is not as rough especially on the turnpike.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Illegal if people are behind you that are driving faster than you are, period.

Got a link to a statute? Cause I say you are wrong.

47-11-309

Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly
marked lanes for traffic, the following rules in addition to all
others consistent herewith shall apply.
1. A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely
within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until the
driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with
safety and then given a signal, not less than the last one hundred
(100) feet traveled by the vehicle, of his intention to change lanes.
2. Upon a roadway which is divided into three lanes, a vehicle
shall not be driven in the center lane except when overtaking and
passing another vehicle where the roadway is clearly visible and such
center lane is clear of traffic within a safe distance, or in
preparation for a left turn or where such center lane is at the time
allocated exclusively to traffic moving in the direction the vehicle
is proceeding and is signposted to give notice of such allocation.
3. Upon a roadway which is divided into four or more lanes, a
vehicle proceeding at less than the maximum posted speed
, except when
reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, shall not impede the
normal flow of traffic by driving in the left lane.
Such vehicle
shall be driven in the right-hand lane except when overtaking and
passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when
preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road
or driveway.
4. Official signs may be erected directing slow-moving traffic
to use a designated lane or designating those lanes to be used by
traffic moving in a particular direction regardless of the center of
the roadway and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of
every such sign.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This never made it to law.. I had high hopes for it, but when I asked my OHP buddies, they said it never went anywhere..

PASSING HB 1368 which amends 47:11-309 requires drivers on multilane highways to remain in the right lane unless they are passing other vehicles. It does not apply to those driving in the far-left lane because of traffic conditions (i.e., vehicles stopped on the side of the road) or road configuration.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's all about "normal (speed/flow) of traffic".

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 11 - Rules of the Road
Article Article 3 - Miscellaneous Rules of Driving on Roadway
Section 11-301 - Drive on Right Side of Roadway - Exceptions

A. Upon all roadways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

1. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the laws governing such movement;

2. When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;

3. Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic under the laws applicable thereon;

4. Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic; or

5. Upon a roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic.

B. Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane when available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway and may be temporarily driven upon the right-hand shoulder for the purpose of permitting other vehicles to pass. This subsection shall not apply when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

C. Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, no vehicle shall be driven to the left of the center line of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under paragraph 2 of subsection (a) of this section. However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center line in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road or driveway.

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 11 - Rules of the Road
Section 11-309 - Additional Rules for Driving on Roadways Laned for Traffic
Cite as: 47 O.S. § 11-309 (OSCN 2015)

Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic, the following requirements in addition to all others consistent herewith shall apply.

1. A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane.

2. A vehicle shall not be moved from the lane until the driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety and then given a signal, not less than the last one hundred (100) feet traveled by the vehicle, of his intention to change lanes.

3. Upon a roadway which is divided into three lanes, a vehicle shall not be driven in the center lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle where the roadway is clearly visible and the center lane is clear of traffic within a safe distance, or in preparation for a left turn or where the center lane is at the time allocated exclusively to traffic moving in the direction the vehicle is proceeding and is signposted to give notice of the allocation.

4. A two-way left-turn lane is a lane near the center of the highway set aside for use by vehicles making left turns in both directions from or into the roadway. Two-way left-turn lanes shall be designated by distinctive roadway markings consisting of parallel double yellow lines, interior line dashed and exterior line solid, on each side of the lane. A vehicle shall not be driven in a designated two-way left-turn lane except when preparing for or making a left turn from or into a roadway. Vehicles turning left from the roadway shall not be driven in the two-way left-turn lane for more than two hundred (200) feet while preparing for and making the turn. A vehicle turning left onto the roadway may utilize the two-way left-turn lane as a staging area by stopping and waiting for traffic proceeding in the same direction to clear before merging into the adjacent lanes of travel. A left turn shall not be made from any other lane where a two-way left-turn lane has been designated. Provided, however, this section shall not prohibit driving across a two-way left-turn lane when moving from a service drive onto such marked roadway.

5. Upon a roadway which is divided into four or more lanes, a vehicle shall not impede the normal flow of traffic by driving in the left lane; provided, however, this paragraph shall not prohibit driving in a lane other than the right-hand lane when traffic conditions or flow, or both, or road configuration, such as the potential of merging traffic, require the use of lanes other than the right-hand lane to maintain safe traffic conditions.

6. Official signs may be erected directing slow-moving traffic to use a designated lane or designating those lanes to be used by traffic moving in a particular direction regardless of the center of the roadway and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of every such sign.

kvvu.images.worldnow.com_images_6731431_G.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's all about "normal (speed/flow) of traffic".

kvvu.images.worldnow.com_images_6731431_G.jpg

HAHA! ^^^^^

This story isn't over. Been busy and couldn't add to it today. Leaving the gun show, we went to eat at a sea food place on 61st. Left there only needing to go North and hit the BA and continue on to 412.

His GPS said to go West, and got on some roads not familiar with me.

Me: You sure you put in directions to Ponca City?

Him: yeah! I do it all the time.

20 minutes later we are south of Sapulpa.

Me: I think you hit the wrong button. We are way South of 412.

Him: My GPS say we are on the right road.

Me: Turn that SOB off and listen to me. (I'm past being non-confrontational at this time) Turn right here and go North. We finally get back on 412 and make it home.
Had a couple of Margarita's at the restaurant and the buzz was wearing off.

We are long time friends, but he NEVER travels out of Ponca. He recently got interested in guns, so I thought a visit to a candy store might get him more so. It worked out OK.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may have a lied a bit. As soon as I see a cop car I get back over in the right lane immediately. Nobody would ride with me anyway cause I never go over the speed limit. My ex-wife used to get mad at me cause I drove 55 mph on I-40. I used to tell her "Arrive alive at 55". She says the oil embargo of the 70's is over and they raised the speed limit decades ago. What can I say? I drive 25 in the school zone even in the summer. But you'll never catch me shoot'in someone with my gun and then saying I thought it was my taser.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom