life expectancy of Sargent and Greenleaf electronic safe lock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve2020

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always had mechanical manual locks on my safes but gave the electronic lock a try....

I purchased a safe in 2016 with a Sargent and Greenleaf electronic lock and so far no problems at all...... it gets minimal use and I change 9volt battery every year and it has very light duty most of time.

I was wondering to those who have or have had electronic locks how many years have they lasted out of your electronic lock and were they lightly used or heavy daily used?

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had one for about 20 years and I keep swearing that I am going to replace it with mechanical.
It doesn't open every time, but will eventually. At least so far.
Tried to add combinations when I first got it, never could.
Big hint: Anything that you do with it on the door (change batteries, change combo, etc) do it with the door OPEN and test it several times before closing the door and locking it!!!

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guaranteed to fail first EMP. Don't worry though, they warrantee it and will give you $100,000 if it fails due to EMP. Just file the complaint by phone or internet...

It does sound like many have had good luck with electronic locks. Some haven't. Has anyone ever had a mechanical lock fail?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had an S&G mechanical lock fail. I was eventually able to get the safe open but it took a few days of fiddling with it. That was a few years ago and I'm still using the same lock. Once I got it opened I took the door apart and cleaned everything and lubed it up. No other problems with it.

I've had a Liberty safe with a Securam electronic lock for about 3 years now with no issues. The electronic locks are far more secure than mechanical locks but that also becomes a problem if they fail. They're harder to get into the safe than a mechanical lock.

An electronic lock with a key backup just becomes an electronic lock that's easy to defeat according to what I've read. I just bought a Remington safe with that type of lock. I have mixed feelings about it. If the lock fails I'll be able to get into the safe. I doubt the local burglars around here will try to defeat the lock. So it doesn't worry me too much.

I'm contemplating replacing the S&G lock on my American Security BF safe with a Securam biometric lock.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My S&G electronic keypad failed after a few years. When it started acting up, I removed the lock and relocker so I could at least close the door. Winchester sent a replacement keypad overnight, and I played with it on the kitchen table for several days before reinstalling it. I’ve had no issues since (knock on wood…), maybe 8 years now….

Latest posts

Top Bottom