Lipstick... er .45-70 reloads.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
7C42DF63-E23B-44B8-B233-84C672C3E093.jpeg
Loaded up some 405gr coated lead bullets today. Aiming for subsonic. I’ll chrono these and adjust as necessary.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just cuz my eyes are always looking for details.........Is the case on far left front row crimped like the others? It's probably just the angle and the way the lights hitting. I told my eyes to mind their own business but they insisted I ask you.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Those are lovely :) Curious to see if you have detonation issues with small charges or did you use filler between bullet and powder?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you coat them yourself, or buy them coated? I tried coating bullets a couple of times.... the first batch turned out fine. I ruined the second batch, got them too hot or something and some of the bullets partially melted. BIG mess! Not sure what I did differently, but I'll probably try again at some point...

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Gas checks on them?

No sir. At the velocity I’m pushing these it shouldn’t be needed. Especially with costed bullets.

Just cuz my eyes are always looking for details.........Is the case on far left front row crimped like the others? It's probably just the angle and the way the lights hitting. I told my eyes to mind their own business but they insisted I ask you.

Good eye fine sir!! You are right. It was not crimped at that time. I used that round to set the die, and it went a touch deep, so I didn’t crimp it until I knocked the bullet back out a little. It’s set correctly and crimped now.

Those are lovely :) Curious to see if you have detonation issues with small charges or did you use filler between bullet and powder?

These are the first run, I’m hoping no detonation. I’ll be watching closely. I’m using 5744, which from my research can be reduced significantly safely. No filler.

Did you coat them yourself, or buy them coated? I tried coating bullets a couple of times.... the first batch turned out fine. I ruined the second batch, got them too hot or something and some of the bullets partially melted. BIG mess! Not sure what I did differently, but I'll probably try again at some point...

Bought them coated from Acme.
http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/45-70-Hard-Cast-Lead-Bullets?product_id=448

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No sir. At the velocity I’m pushing these it shouldn’t be needed. Especially with costed bullets.

Good eye fine sir!! You are right. It was not crimped at that time. I used that round to set the die, and it went a touch deep, so I didn’t crimp it until I knocked the bullet back out a little. It’s set correctly and crimped now.

These are the first run, I’m hoping no detonation. I’ll be watching closely. I’m using 5744, which from my research can be reduced significantly safely. No filler.

Bought them coated from Acme.
http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/45-70-Hard-Cast-Lead-Bullets?product_id=448
Oh boy, now my eyes are gonna be trying to get the bighead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom