Living on the water in a boat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just ask anyone that was in the Navy or Coast Guard about living on a boat full time. Seems great when you are younger, but as you get older it starts to be less of an adventure and more of a chore.
So true, when we were younger we didn’t have much of anything. Living on a ship was fun and you didn’t have far to climb for morning quarters But now that I’m in my later 40s I have amassed a bit of junk. Oh personal possessions. Nowhere to put my junk and the motorcycles on a boat. Not to mention I don’t think the old lady would care for it.

Now if I was a billionaire and had some rich Saudi princes big 300” yacht that would be a different story. Lots of servants to cater for us. That sounds fun. Traveling in style and luxury instead of a dinky little 50 footer.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm...How old and how rich? :D
88 according to the first results lol
https://tiphero.com/cruise-ship-woman
Screenshot_20220301-171940.png

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a buddy that hauls his sailboat to Texoma every spring and stays on it for about a month. If you were going to live full time on a sailboat, you’d want one at least around 30 foot. Anything less than that and you won’t have enough head room to stand up. I have one that is 26 foot. It’s perfect for spending a night or two, but I definitely wouldn’t want to live on it. Sailing is a fairly inexpensive way to spend some time on the water, and you also don’t have a motor roaring behind you. There’s also pretty good deals to be found out there with used boats.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get a really nice 45’ Carver for less than $250k. You can live on one of those full time. Still gotta go to the store for eats & supplies, and a dock to fill up with fuel/water & dump waste water.

It would be a great life, but it ain’t for everyone.

Yeppers....

....one would definitely want to research the size of holding tanks for fresh water, grey tank (showers and sink use), and black tank for the accumulation of nasty stuff from the toilet. Any of those get full, and one is off to get them emptied or the fresh water tank filled.

We deal with that with living in an RV, but in our case, water, electric, and sewer are ALWAYS right there next to your RV.

Now, if one wanted such a life, perhaps having an RV in an RV park close to the water might work out?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One year, off shore power boat races were in Galveston

My brother had a 26' cabin cruiser. He had a friend that was a rescue diver. I was an EMT.

We were asked to be a rescue boat.Sitting in the "infield", 1st turn, off the beach, going off shore."

We drove the boat down on Friday, stayed on the boat until Sunday. Missed all the traffic. Didn't pay inflated hotel prices (no rooms available, anyway)

It was a great experience. Wouldn't do it again.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't Sonny live on a boat?? I dunno -- it might be fun for a night or two but it seems to me that this would be a lot like living in a RV. Too cramped ... Can't stretch out and no place to get away from Grumpy. (More like no place for Grumpy to get away from me. 😉😋)
ANd his pet alligator Elvis.

Latest posts

Top Bottom