Local FFL ruins Christmas for my son **RANT**

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchyfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I m normally not a negative man but this got me pissed. My son is about to graduate engineering school at UCO and I thought I would make this Christmas one he would always cherish. I bought him a Bill Wilson carry off gunbroker. I was an FFL for 7 years so I know the process front to back. I used to use a guy in Noble but he moved his family down south and closed shop. I hadn't really needed another FFL until this purchase. I called a place in Norman (off feedback from this forum) and talked to an employee there about the transfer. I gave him all the info he needed as well as my contact info (phone and email) and told him it was important that I got this done before Christmas. He told me not to worry, it would be handled within the hour. I left it at that. Didn't hear anything so I decided to call him Thursday morning to see how things were going. Phone was busy ALL day. I called for 10 hours. Finally I called the seller only to find out the ffl info had never been sent. Left a message Friday for the guy that took my information to call me back.
Never heard back.
My son didn't get his new pistol for.Christmas.

Great customer service. Karma Josh.

Rant over.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, your son will be less happy with his pistol a couple days after Christmas? How about a picture with a "it's on its way but got hung up"? My guess is in a few months he'll never even really remember. He's going to remember that his dad gave him an awesome, cool gift for all his hard work and accomplishments.

Hope y'all get it soon and quickly.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally I called the seller only to find out the ffl info had never been sent.
With all due respect, the seller knows only that he never received the FFL info. Very recently I advertised a rifle for sale on a national site. I never got the postal money order the prospective buyer claimed to have sent. I don't know whether or not payment was ever sent; I only know that I never received it.

Last edited:

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It happens. That's the risk us last minute shoppers take. The gun won't mean any less to your son.

You wouldn't believe the number of times that we are told "The dealers says that they already sent their license".

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tough one, yes, but I don't think Christmas is truly RUINED. I'm assuming your plan was to overnight the gun or what? I am not going to defend them if they said they were going to do it and didn't, but when time is of the essence, face-to-face deals and people you know or have experience with is always best, in my experience. Sadly, trying to institute a "special handling" transaction sight-unseen, new acquaintance/customer over the phone at the 11th hour during Christmas week is a tough one.

I'm sorry it didn't work out, but try to keep it in perspective - your firearm wasn't lost, mishandled, or stolen. They didn't fax their info. Maybe the post-it note got misplaced, maybe another employee couldn't read the handwriting, I dunno. Either way, don't let it steal your joy in the gift for your son. Either get with them again, or find another dealer and try to handle it maybe face-to-face and move on with your life. Don't let it spoil YOUR Christmas. You'll be fine in the longrun, so will your son, and it'll be an anecdote on the gun for a lifetime of stories.

Merry Christmas!

<edit>Look at my goofy curmudgeon self, all waxing philosophic when I'm usually just an a-hole. lol It MUST be Christmas! :blush:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree with most of what's been said here. Ya'll see this as the OP and son being subject to a temporary delay in the receipt of the gift. I view it as another case of a seller (gun, or otherwise) failing in the simple task of doing the job promised.

I could count on the fingers of both hands how many times something like this has happened to me in the past few weeks - unanswered calls and emails, broken promises, etc. This includes, but is not limited to, gun dealers. People just don't have any ownership in their jobs anymore.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think maybe your Christmas surprise was ruined, not your son's Christmas. He is at an age where Christmas is not about what you get. But, it does suck that something did not work out with your FFL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom