Local FFL ruins Christmas for my son **RANT**

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree with most of what's been said here. Ya'll see this as the OP and son being subject to a temporary delay in the receipt of the gift. I view it as another case of a seller (gun, or otherwise) failing in the simple task of doing the job promised.

I could count on the fingers of both hands how many times something like this has happened to me in the past few weeks - unanswered calls and emails, broken promises, etc. This includes, but is not limited to, gun dealers. People just don't have any ownership in their jobs anymore.

I agree. I've had issues in the past with that. The way i figure it, if you say you're going to do something -- do it! or at least call back and say for whatever reason you can't.

I've learned the hard way -- record your conversations so you can sue in court later! If they promise to do something -- a verbal contract -- and go back on it, you can take them to court for compensation.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, it was a ball-drop by the business. I'm not defending them at all, and I believe if you say you're going to do it, you should. It's a black mark against the unnamed FFL, but I'm just saying it's not the end of the world and we shouldn't overreact. I would probably find another gun shop, personally, and let them know, but my guess is they probably aren't overly concerned about losing a few transfers. As has been said here by many dealers, transfers don't make the business. They do, however, get people in the door and looking at your stuff. So take it for what it's worth.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right that they're not overly concerned with the loss of a few low-profit transactions. You're also right that it can go a lot further into their pocketbook than that.

I worked for 33 years in a telephone-dominated business. I made it personal that I never failed to return a phone call when promised, or otherwise failed to do as I'd said I would without a direct call to explain. I guess I expect too much.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's frustrating when people, and businesses don't do what they say they are going to do.

That said, if this little issue "ruined" your Sons's Christmas there is a much bigger issue. I can see where it might have ruined your joy in giving your son the pistol on Christmas day.

In no way excusing the FFL, this sounds like it was a very late transaction, even if the FFL had been sent, the shipping might not have worked out.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree with most of what's been said here. Ya'll see this as the OP and son being subject to a temporary delay in the receipt of the gift. I view it as another case of a seller (gun, or otherwise) failing in the simple task of doing the job promised.

I could count on the fingers of both hands how many times something like this has happened to me in the past few weeks - unanswered calls and emails, broken promises, etc. This includes, but is not limited to, gun dealers. People just don't have any ownership in their jobs anymore.

I don't understand how you can blame the seller. He is powerless until the dealer in Norman sends his FFL. Blame the receiving ffl for not following thru. Name Names!

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I used the word "seller" simply to describe that end of the transaction. Admittedly, not very clear. I assumed all would know everything in my mind. :o

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes, I used the word "seller" simply to describe that end of the transaction. Admittedly, not very clear. I assumed all would know everything in my mind. :o
Well you know what they say about assumptions, they make an ass out of a horse of course of course

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get backlash for this, but I would blame the OP more than the gun shop on this one. From what I'm reading in the first post is that is was a very last minute purchase right before the busiest time of the year.
Who's to say the ffl didn't already have multiple other people in his shop and 100 other things going on from the other last minute shoppers.
At the end of the day, we're only human and with so many things going on its easy to let something slip through the cracks.

Sorry, but you gotta get your ducks in a row a little farther out from Christmas on items that need transfers and shipping.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe I'm seeing all of these excuses being made for the seller and gun shop. You must be a bunch of 'millennials' lol!

Christmas at my house is December 24th/25th. We get together, eat good food, and share gifts. If I step out and spend a chunk of cash and go through the emotions of getting something I think is a special gift for my son, giving it to him at the Christmas event is part of the package. If a derelict at the gunshop I carefully selected to help me out based on positive reviews on OSA blows my plan and becomes unavailable, my Christmas day/gift is ruined. Oh, here's that gun I bought you a week later isn't really the same.

I have to go to Christmas dinner with my MIL tomorrow night but for me, Christmas is over, so whatever, it won't feel like Christmas dinner, I already had those. She could have come but you know, didn't feel well. (typical)

I'm planning my New Year's party and wrapping my son's new Marlin 60 for his b-day next weekend. Fortunately I already have it. It just wouldn't be the same if I had to give it to him on like, Jan. 13th or something.

I'm with the OP. Sorry they screwed up your experience. Sounds like a cool gift and gesture on your part. Of course, he'll still dig the gun but I'm totally on your side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom