Long Range Budget Set Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legend

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Everytime I see one of these I think about an old H&R Handi rifle I had that shot 1/2 MOA. It cost me a grand total of around $375 including the mid-price optics it had on it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I have one. I have a Crossfire 3-9 and I am 100% sure I have a Crossfire II 4-12. I just can't FIND that one.

I meant I don't have the scope I chose FOR this rifle - it's an Arken, so it's hit by the Chinese virus slowdown. It'll be here sometime. Maybe. I'll find something to use, just not going to be my eventual scope. But honestly, to get out to 300, I shouldn't need much. Hell, I've got a Strike Eagle 1-8x sitting unused, too. I just figured my 4-12 if I can find it would be a better option - my eyes kinda suck.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I have one. I have a Crossfire 3-9 and I am 100% sure I have a Crossfire II 4-12. I just can't FIND that one.

I meant I don't have the scope I chose FOR this rifle - it's an Arken, so it's hit by the Chinese virus slowdown. It'll be here sometime. Maybe. I'll find something to use, just not going to be my eventual scope. But honestly, to get out to 300, I shouldn't need much. Hell, I've got a Strike Eagle 1-8x sitting unused, too. I just figured my 4-12 if I can find it would be a better option - my eyes kinda suck.

For a stop-gap measure, don't feel shy about that 1-8. I go to 500 yards at Pawnee RNG with a Vortex Spitfire 3x, and I've gone 1000 yards at Fouled Bore with 10x. You'll be just fine!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I have a couple of good shooters who tell me going with a 24x is a mistake, that all I need is 8-10x to get out to 1000 yards accurately. I'm not discounting that out of hand, I'm just saying I have trouble seeing the impact points of my shot on paper at 100 yards with 4x and 6x, so it seems a little out of my frame of reference.

But I'm willing to learn - which is why I've spent the better part of my individual disposable income in a year on building this new rifle. To learn and see how I enjoy the process and accomplishment.

So we'll see. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom