Long Range Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pitzer52

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post on here but there seems to be a lot of knowledgable people on here and I just wanted to get your thoughts on a new rifle. I am looking to buy a new rifle in 7mm rem mag, mostly for long range target shooting but some hunting as well. What kind of rifle should I get and what kind of optics should I put on it?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best advice I have... If you will be shooting a 7mm Rem Mag, get a rifle with a good muzzle brake. The 7 mags I have owned were punishing, though mine were light weight, mountain rifle types. I have little experience with the 7 mag for long range, precision type shooting. I saw a magazine at Hastings in the last month that addressed the 7 Rem mag as a sniper rifle. You might see if you can get your hands on that and start your research there.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Any special reason you picked 7mm mag? I'm a huge 7mm fan, just not the 7mm rem mag or 7mm weatherby mag. Assuming you'll be reloading, don't over look the .280 Ackley Improved you want to stick with the 7mm's.

Pitzer52

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will not be reloading. I like the 7mm rem mag for its flat trajectory and wide availability of ammo. I was initially thinking about a 270 wsm but ammo is pretty hard to find for it and I know there are other caliber a that shoot flatter but they are too expensive for me.

CoyoteStalker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably around 500 yards or so but I'd like to get something that I could hit targets at 1000 yards with.
7mm will definitely get there with a lot of energy and good ballistics. I like the round too, and it can be used for target shooting way past the 1000 mark as well. It is also easy to dial in because of the nice ballistics. The 308 has been thrown on a pedestal for being the standard for the 1000 range for some reason, but I can't see why based on the ballistics alone. However, these short action rounds will be much more pleasurable to shoot, and you will not be punished with recoil, flenching from the blast and it will be easier to make follow up shots.

I personally like the Savage 110 variants for custom builds because I can change barrels and calibers at home. You'll still have to take the barrel somewhere to have it threaded for a break if you are wanting to go that route. Double up the ear protection if you run a break on the 7 mag...it will be loud :)

It's fun to shoot a rifle that you spend a lot of time getting perfect for you. Good luck!

Sent from the ammo room

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really have a number of questions there.
Your question is similar somebody asking "What pickup should I buy?" without sharing any additional information.

What is your price range?

How much shooting do you intend to do with this rig?
A hunting rifle that sees 20 or 30 rounds a year will have a barrel that will last many years while a caliber that sees lots of rounds thru a barrel can wear out fairly rapidly.
Same with ammunition. If you only shoot one box of ammo a year, it is not really important if it is $50 a box, but if you intend to practice marksmanship or shoot in target matches to sharpen your skill level you will be much happier with something that is cheaper per round.

Since you mention "some hunting" will this be a carry a lot and shoot a little rifle or something you carry a bit and sit at the edge of a field for hours watching for deer?

Are you partial to any specific brand or are there any particular features that you consider important?
For instance, are you happy with a rifle that holds 3 rounds in a top loader magazine or do you feel the need of having detachable magazines.

On optics, you really need to have a feel for what purpose you intend to put the finished rig to.
Lots of hunting scopes start at about 2 or 3X magnification and end up around 10 to 12X at the top end.
Longer range scopes tend to have more magnification, especially if you intend to try to shoot little targets a long way away.
Even at 10X a coyote is pretty small at 1000 yards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom