long range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to buy my first long range rifle. Leaning towards the .223 Rem VTR15, what do you guys think?? On a tight budget but want to get out past 500-600 yards. Any help appreciated.

LDA.45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DITTO DAT!!!
Take a look at the 10FCP-k in .223, I have one and it is Ded Nuts accurate.
Is the VTR the one with the triangular barrel??, if so, haven't heard much
good about it.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Savage or Remington. The .223 is a good round, but I too prefer the .308. It's really an 800 yard round, but can get you out to 1000 yards. Of course whatever range you're shooting at, it will force you to learn to read the wind. Ohh, and it's a lot easier to see where you hit with a .308 than the .223.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Savage, I have the 22-250 1:9 VLP & it is dead dog accurate if I do my part. It shoots everything so well I am having a hard time deciding on a load

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a budget I'm starting to look more at the Howa and Tikka Rifles lately. If you plan on upgrading it later, look at a Remington (and search the long-gun forum here for "long range" - you'll learn plenty).

If you plan on upgrading it, don't spend extra money on an upgraded Remington (unless you plan on getting a 5R Milspec). I did and the barrel I got was fairly useless in my SPS Varmint out at 300-350yds (of course, I didn't know nearly as much about how to properly shoot as I do now, so to be fair, some of that could have been me).

If I were to do it again, I'd do it like I did my son's rifle and get the cheapest ADL skinny barrel rifle and upgrade the barrel, recoil lug and stock (you can get a Remington 700 for around $350-$400 used and a Hart barrel for $300 and a Bell Carlson stock for $200).

If you're on a budget, get a Warne 20MOA base and some Burris XTR rings and either a Bushnell Elite 3200 or 4200 adjustable or an SS scope in fixed 16x (provided you don't plan on doing any sub-100yd shooting with this rifle).

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Search function is your friend. This question comes up so much, along with the other asking about how to shoot long range, there should bee a "Sticky" for all NOOB's!!!!!!

Not trying to start a fight or discourage you from asking questions, but alot of what has been asked has already been answered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom