Looking for a pistol for the girlfriend...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Bad Wolf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She's got small ( like the size of my 10yoa daughter) hands. She has some pistol experience. Thinking about a 1911 style in either 9mm or possibly .40sw since she likes the feel of my full size Kimber. She's about 5'3" and a small 150. Size 8 petite clothes is what she's wears. This would be a home defense and also a carry piece when she's able to (can't at her job, not even on the property). Anyone know where one might get hands on to see how it fits Okc metro area really preferred. The biggest issue is the trigger reach from a proper fighting grip. In order for her to fit her G19, she rotates the pistol to where the backstrap is on her thumb knuckle. Not the best of shooting grips.

Any help can be helpful...

okkaps

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would check out the kahr pm9 or cw9 for ccw.

If the Glock doesn't fit her (as she has to rotate it to shoot it) then find something that will. Guns def aren't a "one size fits all" item. Kahr is a good size for CC and very reliable. Take a look at some airweights (or equiv) if she likes the idea of revolvers or maybe even something smaller in caliber if need be. I'd rather carry a properly fitted 9mm than a .45 that doesn't fit my hand.

When taking my GF gun shopping, we looked at and tried on alot of different guns both at the store and at home before she finally decided on what fit her best. If she (your significant other) is going to carry it concealed then try a holster on with it and see if the gun's weight/size is right for her. I've been guilty of buying a "cool new gun" and later realizing that there is no freakin way I could carry it concealed. :(

Big Bad Wolf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We hit the gun show and H&H. She likes the 1911's and a few smaller pistol like the P22. We did find a Walther P99 that she seemed to like. Anyone know how well these handle in a .40s&w? My experiences with walthers stopped at the p22 that I had a few years ago and sold due to being unreliable and too small for my hands.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 1911 I think would be a great platform for her to start with. And if she cant really reach the trigger well, you can always put a short trigger in it.

I'm not a fan of anything but the full-sized 1911, but I'd be willing to be that the 4.25" with some slim grips would fit her like a glove.

For a female, I would stay away from the .40. It's just too much "bang" and "crack". The recoil in the 9mm is much more controllable, and with the newer JHP's, the stopping power difference is pretty slight.

digitalshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might have her at least handle a Bersa 380 Thunder. Of all the guns that my wife tried, that was the most natural feel. My wife is petite also and has small hands. Usually Academy has one or two of those. They are extremely dependable, having never had a FTF or FTE.

Latest posts

Top Bottom