Looking to get started reloading!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I am on a budget and looking to get started reloading and came across this from midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit

I was mostly wondering if this was a good choice to get started. I dont think I can spend much more than this for the time being. I have a baby on the way and a kitchen that needs to be finnished and another bedroom to remodel before the little one joins us.

Any information as to this set or another set to help me get started would be great.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to post an ad on craigslist, I've found a ton of reloading equipment on there in the past. Plus you usually get any brass, bullets, powder and primers that they have left over.

Double_tap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The scale is not terrible but not pinpoint accurate either. I have the kit and the biggest complaint I have is the powder measure throws inaccurate loads (usually light) when using cylindrical rifle powders. I plan on loading some handgun loads soon and from what I have read measure is more accurate with pistol powders. I weigh every load for my 7MM mag and the most the measure is ever off is a half a grain, which is usually 3-4 pieces of IMR 4350 that I trickle. If you were loading max loads I would weigh every charge anyway. I don't load at max but have a little OCD so I weigh every load.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Is the rifle the only thing you will be loading for?

Also, if you look on evilBay, then make sure that it includes everything. It could be hard to beat that price on eBay; craigslist is possible. Watch the classifieds here too.

I have the Lee Perfect powder measure, and like mentioned, I like to throw low and trickle up for precision rifle rounds. For .223, the ball powders like H335 and BLC-2 both meter precisely. It does take a little bit of finigling to get the charge right; but as I understand, powder density can vary from lot to lot, so that's not a big surprise.

One thing you'll want to add, is extra bushings, so you can set up the dies and leave them in their respective bushings.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For now the only think I have and care to reload for is my bolt gun. I have a coworker who just ordered this set, so I will be looking his over before I purchase anything. Also he has reloaded for several years and so I will also see what he thinks of the kit after he gets some loads worked.

I do understand this kit does not come with everything I need, but it seems to be a good start. I have been looking in the classifieds, but have not found any new postings for reloading in a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom