Low ball offers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always respond and do it in a polite manner. Lowball is a relative idea. Generally as an owner I over value my guns and as a buyer I undervalue. There is so much that goes into current price of a gun and just because it retails new for $500 doesn’t mean a used one should sell for $425! Getting upset, adding people to lists, or posting bad responses is unnecessary. If the gun is priced right then it will sell.

I have been on this site for only about 4 months now and I have bought and sold around 15 guns. In every deal I have done, the people have all been wonderful to work with. That’s why I will take a little less for a gun on this site instead of selling it on armslist.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If people would not start out at the premium price, only the lowest they will take, this would not be a factor.

Low ball offers are to try to find out what you would really take for something, not the bonus someone might give. I would suspect the used car dealers type attitude started all this. Usually when I get ready to sell something, I decide a price, mark it up for negotiation, and then advertise it. It seems to be the American way.

If you price your item at a fair price and do not negotiate, many people will not purchase, no mater how good a deal it is. I have tried this and been told that they are not purchasing unless I go down on my price. I am already 20% below market value to move it. Sorry, I will wait for someone else who is interested.

It seems some people are more interested in negotiating than realizing they are getting a bargain to start out with. Go Figure.

If it is an item I need and priced right, I purchase it. If I feel it it is not priced right, I feel someone really wants to rip me off, but I will try to negotiate to see what the real price is that he is willing to take vs what I am willing to give.

If you have an excess and are trying to sell $20 bills for $22, I might try to "low ball" to try to negotiate. If you really have an excess and want to get rid of them, I will offer $18. I send an email offer, Yes/No, please respond. and if /No, I might reconsider my offer and might bump it up to $19 to help you out with your excess problem. I already have a lot of 20's, but if I can find a bargain, I can add to my collection. Otherwise, I will pass. The American way.

This is also why when I advertise something or see something advertised as $X firm. I consider that the price. If they might take 1% less, they missed a sale or purchase with me. Firm to me means, that's it, take it or leave it. Make a decision, the American way.

I would suggest if you want to advertise something and have a price you will not go below, advertise it at that price and use the word "firm", which in some worlds means "not open to negotiation" or if that word is not there and if I might have some interest, expect me to try to find out what that low number really is. My American way.

Unfortunately some people would like to sell something in excess of the value of what is perceived as the open market to help their situation. In reality they need to turn it, no longer need it, are tired of it. Somehow they have to find out what the market value is for the seller vs the buyer. They put out their $20 bills out at $22, someone might bite on what your $20 silver certificates are worth. Ya never know.

If I throw out a Low Ball, I expect to hear from you. Yes/No, Kiss my Ass, or you are close, can't quite take that, but how about $19.55?

My sentiments exactly. It's a used or at least previously owned item. It's always up for negotiation. Some people get all twisted up because you offer them 10-15% less than they are asking. Like saying I'll give you 450.00 for your pistol you priced at 500.00. They act like I've insulted their mother. Just say no if you don't like the offer. Or offer another price. Haggling is how the world works. In America we have gotten away from it mostly, but you can go into most stores, chain stores too, and ask to see the manager and get a better deal than is advertised. Maybe not if it's on sale, but that 1,000 dollar refrigerator can usually get loaded into your truck for only 800.00 or 900.00 out the door. You just have to ask.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done it a couple of times. A guy had a laptop that was almost 2 years old and wanted what he paid for it. it never sold...
another seller had 3 year old tv for 120, I had 100 to offer... it never sold
If it's a gun and the guy needs the money and I'm somewhat interested but don't have asking price, I'll offer what I got and thank him for his time

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
How about the guys who post stuff priced way too high trying to take advantage of a hard to find or desireable item? For example, the other day a guy posted a Keltec Sub 2k glock mag model in 9mm on armslist with a text me an offer. The gun retails for $429 new. When he finally got around to how much he'd take, he wanted $650. I think an offer of 10% under a sellers price is fair, I often consider that when posting my items, hint, hint.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a negotiator at heart. I do it for a living and I know you don't get what you don't ask for. I don't mind lowball offers and I've made a few myself. A lowball offer is the start of a negotiation. Often, my "opening offer" is intentionally lower than I know the seller will accept. This is to set the "anchor point" low. Same thing when im selling something, I set the anchor point high and negotiate to a fair price from there. This is negotiation 101 folks...no reason to get butthurt.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
do you guys respond to them?

I respond to every offer - if I miss a response it isn't because they "lowballed" me. In my opinion this is not a buyer issue, it is a seller issue.
If a seller posts "firm" or "non-negotiable" then he/she should feel free to ignore offers below the asking price. Generally, however, the seller posts what he would "like" to get and has some lower, unspoken amount he will accept if required. If an offer comes in too low to be acceptable simply respond in a way that brings them up to what you will accept or say "No thank you - too low". If they are interested you'll hear back soon enough.

I do dislike when I spend time negotiating a price only to get a final "can't pay that after all" at the end. I realize a hard deal was not agreed to - so I am not saying anyone welched - but why waste both our time if you aren't sure you can pay at the outset?

Latest posts

Top Bottom