Low Cost Vacations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if one wanted to just "get away" for a couple days with the family, what are some ideas?
2 Adults/2 Kids (2yrs & 15yrs).
Beach (never been) would be ideal or something similar (summer/water).
Budget being $1000 - $1500 (if possible).
Driving range from OKC 8 - 12 hrs max.
Most likely a weekend thing, take off Friday and back to work Monday,

Some places we have already been are Sea World Tx, Great Wolf Lodge Tx, Shitterbohn Tx, Branson Mo.
I'd have to also plan around High School and College breaks.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a condo on the beach in Destin FL. that was $100/day and airfare RT was $300 from OKC. Thats $600 for 2 plane tickets and if you stayed 5 nights, your under $1500. I dont count food and drinks as added cost on a vacation because I would be eating if I was at home anyway.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found a condo on the beach in Destin FL. that was $100/day and airfare RT was $300 from OKC. Thats $600 for 2 plane tickets and if you stayed 5 nights, your under $1500. I dont count food and drinks as added cost on a vacation because I would be eating if I was at home anyway.

He'll have two kids as well, so air fare would almost double. But I agree with a condo at Destin for a road trip to the beach; my neighbor did that last summer and they had a nice extended weekend down there.

Better book the condo now, though!

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in this one too. I've been thinking about getting a small travel trailer and hitting places like blue river and sulfur this summer. Problem is I hate crowds so looking for "out the way" get aways. Have you considered Arkansas? I drove there and floated the white river years ago with a girlfriend and it was beautiful.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well with four people first thing I would say is plan to drive. Personally if I can drive it for the same cost or less as a plane ticket I drive, otherwise you have to plan to rent a vehicle or take a taxi which is an additional cost/hindrance especially if you want to head to the beach and are not staying ON the beach or wherever else you want to go. Plus the added fees for pickup and dropoff at an airport for taxis if you decide that is the way to go.

I would honestly suggest Foley, AL as a place to head to. It's a little over 12 hours from OKC if you take google maps word for it. There is a beach south of town and a few things to do in the area nearby. It's not far from Florida so you could head that way for a while if you wanted for a day trip. There is also a very unique restaurant in town the kids are sure to have a blast at, especially if they ever wanted to throw some food. http://www.throwedrolls.com/

I was down there a few years ago and didn't take the time to go eat at Lambert's Cafe and I kick myself all the time. Saw a show once where they were featured and there are baseball gloves and fishing nets around so you can catch the rolls. But one of these days I will take a trip back down to do it.

Also if the kids are into nature it would be hard to beat https://beachnriverkayakrentals.com/

Depending on your route it may be best to make a single stop along the way in Dallas either on the way out or back and hit Six Flags.

I will personally probably be hitting Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels this year. Have a friend who just moved down by San Antonio that I am planning to visit in May.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We booked a condo in Destin for this July. The condo is going to cost me right at $1500 for 7 days. After going to Florida, I probably won't go to south Texas again.
If you still have the info on the place that you stayed for $100 per day, could you pm it to me? That would be hard to pass up. We are taking the whole family this time, but sometimes the wife and I like to slip away.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in this one too. I've been thinking about getting a small travel trailer and hitting places like blue river and sulfur this summer. Problem is I hate crowds so looking for "out the way" get aways. Have you considered Arkansas? I drove there and floated the white river years ago with a girlfriend and it was beautiful.

This! Wife and I went to Brown's Cabins and Canoes near Yellville, AR and floated the Buffalo River. It was absolutely awesome. The water was crystal clear (you could see the trout swimming alongside and under the canoe). Cabins come completely outfitted; charcoal grills and pic-a-nic tables out side each one. They have a fridge so you can go to the local store and buy beer/food/supplies and feed yourselves. Or eat the fish you catch. Couple decent restaurants nearby, The Front Porch was one; it's claim to fame was it was on the cover of Southern Living magazine. Anyway; they have you drop your vehicle off at a spot downriver, then they take you and the family in a big pick-up with the canoe on a trailer, way up river and you float down to your car. You can do a 4-hour or 8-hour float. Of course, actual time is up to you; we pulled over to the banks to fish and stuff along the way so it actually took us more like 10-11 hours as I best recall. Then you just get in your car and go back to your cabin, and tell 'em the canoe is at the drop off point. Great family time and not too expensive at all. In fact, I think we'll do it again this summer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom