M1 Garand / M1A / M-14 Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is mine, CMP SA, Saige EBR Stock (still have original so can return to GI), going to put a scout scope or EOTech on it one of these days.

100_0996.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is mine, CMP SA, Saige EBR Stock (still have original so can return to GI), going to put a scout scope or EOTech on it one of these days.

I'd have to look at that twice or thrice before I realized there was an M1 hiding in there! What motivated you to tacticalize the rifle? What CMP grade did it start as, and how is it to shoot now?

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perplexed,

I really like the EBR stock, don't own a M-14 but had this garand gathering dust, was plinking at 700 yards with issue stock and was astounded at the accuracy. It was a service grade rifle from DCM. haven't shot rifle in new stock yet (on paper). Seriously considering a custom shop leupold scout scope with target knobs. I think it would be a fun 1000 yd semi-sniper / plinker. I was amazed at what the irons could do at 700 yds, a scout scope could make things really fun. I have a 300 win mag for serious shooting at distance so this Garand would be for fun.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perplexed,

I really like the EBR stock, don't own a M-14 but had this garand gathering dust, was plinking at 700 yards with issue stock and was astounded at the accuracy. It was a service grade rifle from DCM. haven't shot rifle in new stock yet (on paper). Seriously considering a custom shop leupold scout scope with target knobs. I think it would be a fun 1000 yd semi-sniper / plinker. I was amazed at what the irons could do at 700 yds, a scout scope could make things really fun. I have a 300 win mag for serious shooting at distance so this Garand would be for fun.

This was a DCM rifle? How long ago did you get it, and what was it like when it arrived? Was it an arsenal mixmaster, or was it better than service grade like I've heard a lot of those DCM rifles were?

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was a DCM rifle? How long ago did you get it, and what was it like when it arrived? Was it an arsenal mixmaster, or was it better than service grade like I've heard a lot of those DCM rifles were?

Back when I paid 475 for it (more than 10 years ago, I forget), op rod is stamped NM, sweet trigger, serial # 592xxxx, numbers on bolt don't match receiver so I'm guessing it was a mixmaster. It's a nice shooter though.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I paid 475 for it (more than 10 years ago, I forget), op rod is stamped NM, sweet trigger, serial # 592xxxx, numbers on bolt don't match receiver so I'm guessing it was a mixmaster. It's a nice shooter though.

The number on the bolt is a drawing number; the same number was stamped on all the bolts from that manufacturer over a specific period of time. You'll find drawing numbers on many of the parts in an M1, such as the op rod, trigger housing, trigger, hammer, sometimes the trigger guard, etc. This was done basically for QA/QC and to ensure that parts could be swapped out without any fit or function issues. So, there's no such thing as a "matching numbers" M1 Garand; the best you can hope for is that all the parts are stamped by the same manufacturer, and the drawing numbers fall into the correct period of time relative to the S/N. If the barrel is also correctly dated to the receiver, and the stock has the proper cartouches, that would be considered a "Correct" M1. Your S/N indicates a M1 made close to the end of production, probably some time in late 1956. What is the month-year date stamped on the side of the barrel, visible when the op rod is locked back? Is there a code and date electro-penciled into the receiver leg on the right-hand side, visible if the receiver is out of the stock?

Latest posts

Top Bottom