M17, M18 is there a benefit of having one over the civilian version Sig p320??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a benefit of having a new-in-box Sig M17, M18 made for the military over the Sig p320 civilian version? I am not talking military surplus but M17/18 made for the military but sold new unissued?

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a benefit of having a new-in-box Sig M17, M18 made for the military over the Sig p320 civilian version? I am not talking military surplus but M17/18 made for the military but sold new unissued?
Didn't know you could buy the real deal, but maybe the M17/18 won't fire on its own LOL.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own one of each of the shorter barreled carry models. The only reason to own the M18 is if you want the equivalent pistol issued to the USMC. To train with a frame mounted safety Sig Sauer P320. For old 1911 shooters, it’s a familiar manual of arms to wipe off a safety lever at end of your draw stroke. I decided after carrying each for about a year, edc, for me, having a positive external safety to switch on during reholstering under a concealment garment is a good thing.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because you want one. That’s the only benefit I see. I went with a x5 legion instead.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got the M17 with safety at Proven Arms for the "blue label" deal to go with my Barretta. I put a Faxon threaded barrel on it so later on down the road I can attach a suppressor. Be advised Sig won the gun contract but Leopold won the red dot contract so only Leopold (50% vet discount) sights will fit.
Shoots great and only goes bang when I pull the trigger.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you’re taking new vs. new, there’s not much that really distinguishes them from each other, but if you’re looking at used 320s, the M17 has a higher likelihood of having the safety upgrades done, because not everyone sent their 320s back for the recall.

Randy_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you haven't seen it, this video from Forgotten Weapons explains what is different about the actual military M17 from the civilian versions:

AFAIK the guns marked P320 M17 like you could buy at any gun store are basically the civilian version but with a thumb safety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom