Magnum loads with powder coating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone put some magnum rounds together with a load of 296 in 357 mag or 44 mag and a powder coated plain base bullet. Just wanted to know how they held up. Can do some powder coating and gas checked boolits which will probably be ok but have a mould that works well in a lever that's plain based

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read others that no longer gas check the bullet but they do powder coat now and send them at the same gas checked speeds.
I personally have not yet .
Fastest one so far was 220gr 30 cal out of the 308 boat tail powder coated at 1400fps.
That is a lee bullet and a failure in bullet design.
It needs more surface area that is .309" or larger.. as it wants to keyhole at any speed.

If it was my mold i would take a drill to it or lap a bullet in it to enlarge the diameter.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not see it being a magnum load or not would matter, more of a velocity question. How fast are you going to be pushing a your 357 or 44 mag round?
I was doing some reading last night about powder coating vs lubing 223 rounds and 243 rounds. Lots of different opinions on using cast bullets if they are going that fast. The topic of using a gas check pad and powder coating also came up on several forums.
I see different opinions on the velocity that a gas check pad is needed on a cast bullet.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gas check is to keep the bullet locked in so it spins down the bore following the rifling as we know .
Let the bullet not grip the rifling and it will slide straight and lots of leading.
The bullets I have sent too fast in my 45acp will slide or skid through the barrel and keyhole on paper.. well
not keyhole as much as hit the paper sideways.

I have went to 2000 fps accurately with gas checked 170gr alox lubed bullet from 30-30.

Less twist rate could allow more velocity. heck look at a muzzleloader.

I suppose when the weather warms I need to do a test on just that question.
Lexington with a chrony and some reloading equipment... sounds interesting.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to know too as when I start loading again I will be doing .327 Federal Magnum, .357 mag, .30-30 Win, and 7.65 Argy. If I can get by without gas checks all the better.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to work with a guy shooting 22 Hornet with cast bullets over 2600 and it was way before any powder coat or 2 part heat setting epoxy was even thought about for bullets. Max velocity is a function of bullet design, alloy, lube used, powder used, fit of the bullet to the throat and bore, and a few other things, twist rate being one like swampratt mentioned. A plain lead bullet can go just a fast as a jacketed in most calibers, it's just too much work to get it there.

I contacted a bullet maker using the high tech coating and they said you'll never drive them fast enough to defeat that coating. No clue on powder coat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom