Mailed my OKC gun club application today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't realize they had sign up times? Also I'm a little weary right now to go to the outdoor ranges with all the inexperienced gunners now at ranges. I've seen some unsafe handling and I'm just wandering if anyone has seen safety losen or is it still good at most ranges?

Last I checked, there has only been one reported accident at the OKCGC. Accidental discharge on skeet field #2. There was no one injured due to the safety rules we had in place.

We take safety seriously, and if you do something stupid you will have a member come talk to you. Every member has the right to correct a safety problem and club officers tend to take it seriously if someone is so unsafe they get a call on it.

That being said, The only thing I have ever had to correct someone on is touching a firearm while people were down range at the benchrest range. Everyone seem to handle it amiably and we all have a good time.

Flynraider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never got a renewal notice, had to contact the membership director. Mailed in my $$ but haven't received my card/gate code back yet.

I would encourage anyone that is interested to join up. During the orientation they stress that range safety is everyone's responsibility and if you see an unsafe act you should correct it but really as long as everyone follows existing range rules it is very safe out there.

swatie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where is the Oklahoma City gun club? I live in Norman. How do you go about joining? Is it exclusive or something? It sounds like some folks have trouble joining or something.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKCGC is out by Arcadia. You have to submit your application and wait for the next membership orientation. They usually have at least one a year and is usually at the beginning of each year. They might have more than one orientation if they do not get the full new member quota on the first orientation.

There is no trouble joining but might take some time depending on when your application was submitted.

The main problems are in the lag/delays on cashing membership fees and shipping new membership cards every year. People that are new to the club or are not familiar with the typical delays seem to panic when their checks have not been cashed and have the new membership card in hand. The club runs behind the schedule they send out to members regarding gate code changes. I have not seen them lock anyone out of the club by changing the lock codes before the cards have been sent out. They just run behind which is understandable since it is a volunteer post.

I sent my membership check in in 12/12/12 and it was cashed on 01/18/13. I have not received my membership card either but am not worried about being locked out.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I submitted my application in December and was told that they review apps in January. Someone else I know submitted one in July.

We both received emails last week inviting us to the upcoming orientation. My guess is that they work through the pile, maybe rank them (?) and then send out as many acceptance emails as they have room for new members.

henrybui

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
woohoo. Melissa got back with me via email for the application, and told me to go ahead and email her my application. Did that today, and she responded less than an hour later for the orientation. So I am guessing there are still slots left, and also for the guys that sent in yours before, you should get in. Good luck to you all and I'll see yall there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom