Maine lawmakers to let one-armed people carry switchblades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maine lawmakers on Wednesday approved legalizing switchblades for people with one arm, moving close to becoming the first state to make such an exception to laws that ban use of the spring-action knives.

Backers of the measure say legalizing switchblades would eliminate a need for one-armed people to be forced to open folding knives with their teeth in emergencies.

The bill to allow amputees and other one-armed people to carry the quick-opening knives cleared Maine's Senate on Wednesday after passing the House on Tuesday, Senate officials said.

Until now, Maine banned the use of switchblades by anyone.

In most states, carrying switchblades is illegal in most circumstances, though owning the knives may be allowed in some states.

Federal law allows their use by a person with one arm only on federal property if the blade is shorter than three inches.

The Maine bill requires that the knives have a blade that is three inches or shorter.

Governor Paul LePage is expected to sign the measure into law in the next couple of days, said spokeswoman Adrienne Bennett.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/04/08/maine-lawmakers-to-let-one-armed-people-carry-switchblades/

Griffin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Switchblades are illegal to carry in all states to my knowledge, but they are legal to possess in Oklahoma, just not to carry.

According to TITLE 21 § 1272 Unlawful carry
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit...

That being said I carry a tanto switchblade as my pocket knife everyday everywhere, in my defense I only recently realized that my knife was a switchblade (about 2 weeks ago), for some reason I never made the conscious connection. I am planning on retiring my switchblade as pocket knife, because I try to be in accordance with the law when possible (even if it is unjust), but so far I haven't yet found a likable replacement.

I am curious how officers feel about switchblades? If any officers would weigh in I would be most grateful. For example as an officer what would you do if you Terry Frisked a compliant individual that showed no hostility had no criminal record and came across a switchblade?

Chris Griffin

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom