Major A/c problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Capacitors have a hard job, especially in Oklahoma. My Ac units are 5 years old, but the jackwagon that built the house (and sold it to us) lied about the 5 year warranty, I have had to pay for the repairs we have had to do. Both units have blown the switches twice, and last august my house got hit by lightning, taking out the thermostats. Keeping the area around them clean and occasionally washing them down will do wonders for the efficiency. That said, the industry standard for target differential is 20 degrees, so when it hits 100, the standard is 80 degrees. Most system are better than that, but that is the accepted standard.

I keep my house at 68 in the summer and 72 in the winter. when it gets to 100, my AC just can't keep up, temp climbs to about 73-74 in the late afternoon after the heat has fully soaked the attic.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some time in July for the last 3 years at my old house the A/C stopped working. Once it was a wire that got knocked out by the weedeater and the other two were capacitors. I dont remember my parents ever having to replace parts like that when I was growing up in Oklahoma. It is just nuts how cheap everything is made now.
Thats A big part of , but not all. You should probably have a 200 amp service on our house, part of the problem is the surges in electricity. Its really hard on parts like contactors and relays, so yes they wear out faster.
Capacitors have a hard job, especially in Oklahoma. My Ac units are 5 years old, but the jackwagon that built the house (and sold it to us) lied about the 5 year warranty, I have had to pay for the repairs we have had to do. Both units have blown the switches twice, and last august my house got hit by lightning, taking out the thermostats. Keeping the area around them clean and occasionally washing them down will do wonders for the efficiency. That said, the industry standard for target differential is 20 degrees, so when it hits 100, the standard is 80 degrees. Most system are better than that, but that is the accepted standard.

I keep my house at 68 in the summer and 72 in the winter. when it gets to 100, my AC just can't keep up, temp climbs to about 73-74 in the late afternoon after the heat has fully soaked the attic.
Actually the target range has to do with the temp ..inside the house. If your house is insulated and your unit is sized right and clean, you shouldnt have a problem getting 65 on a 100 degree day. Now If your house was hit by lightening, you may have many bad switches, damage to wires. Are you washing the outside coil (condensor) from the inside out? Be careful with high pressure it will bend the fins and make more problems. Have someone check your pressures, you should be gettin better air than that ,(Insulation in the attic?)

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There should be at least a 20 degree drop between the return air temp and the air coming out of the vents. So if it is 70 degrees in the house the air coming out of the vents should be at least 50 degrees.

Latest posts

Top Bottom