Make your own blanks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’ve been looking for some blanks, shotgun blanks specifically. Cabelas had a whole mess of Kent ProTrial shells laying around a while back, should have grabbed a box or two.
But I’ve looked online, and I’m finding boxes of Kent ProTrial blanks for $30+, other blanks are even more.

So, why not create my own?? Let’s say I break the crimp on some cheap bulk box 20ga, dump out the shot, and load that sucker up with some bird seed or something before pushing the crimp back down? Is this a bad idea?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have done it hundreds of times.
I have loaded with table salt and killed back yard birds to teach dogs not to be scared of gun shots and they get to eat a tasty bird without any shot in it at the same time.
I would just rip the breast out and let the dog eat that and the guts.

Range was very close as in sit in some bushes with dog in your lap and wait.

If you just shoot the wad out without any shot or birdseed etc it still has a lot of knock down power.
It will go through the sheet rock in the garage.

So do not think it is a harmless round even empty.

Just a shot shell with primer is loud.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago (1970's), bunch of us young folks decided to make a shootem-up western using a home movie camera, 8mm IIRC??? One of the stars of the movie's dad had a shotshell loader that he used to make blanks for the gunfight scenes. They seemed to work well in the old SxS's but I never knew how he made them.
As swamprat stated, blanks can still be lethal. We practiced safe gun handling and had no mishaps.
May I ask what the blanks will be used for?

Latest posts

Top Bottom