making hollow points

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
blitzfike, it seems to have trouble centering the hole,might not be bad for a pistol, but for a rifle the hole needs better alinement for accracy , hmifc, i have a lathe going to make drill same size dia. as large primer to fit my case trimmer, if i want the bullet to really expand i can seat a primer in the hollow point hole

Good idea on just turning the bit to be same size. Get a drill dr. and you can custom tailor the angle of the tip too. :)

What kind of case trimmer are you planning to use? Is there one that you've found to be more accurate than the others. I've always used either a Forster or LE Wilson with case holders for best accuracy but wonder how Lyman and RCBS do? In fact, I have my eye on one of the RCBS power trimmers to make things faster and easier too... just hope the accuracy and most importantly squareness of the case mouth holds true.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have a rcbs & a old lyman trimmer, have a small variable speed mixer adapted to to turn the trimmer, rigged it up when i was making 44 auto mag cases. the lyman trimmer is ok on light stuff , the rcbs is heavyer built,

M

Matt Basterson

i've 'engineered' some hollowpoint bullets in he past. they worked fine, but it was far less trouble to get a HP mold and cast'em like i wanted in the first place.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"did the bullet expand more or did it blow up"

With the dead soft lead we were casting the muzzle loading stuff out of, we really couldn't tell. They flatten severely on almost anything.
The most I ever saw was a small puff of smoke that told me we got ignition. The greatest success was with the power loads for ram set
tools as the primer. They probably did more to expand the bullet than the black powder charge did. Just had to be careful with the ramrod. Blitzfike

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used hollow point molds as well as hollow base molds and I'd rather drill the HP on a bullet I prefer than settle for what I can get in a HP mold.
There are some the suit me as is, but most of the bullets I cast aren't readilly available in a HP mold. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom