Malaysia Air Flight 370

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am truly impressed by your paranoia level about Iran-Israel-US political machinations.

Paranoia? A blind man can see the constant demonization of Iran in our media, contempt for Iran by our politicians, and the constant push for some sort of "action" from Israel over Iran's ever-imminent nuclear weapons production.

Even your statement that the 777 can't be used as a weapon in the future is untrue.

I never made that statement; not sure where you got that from my post.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeh. This special delivery is for the heavies in Beijing. But I wonder, what exactly happens if you get depressurized at 45,000 feet? I know you lose consciousness and die, but how long does it take?

Edit: I got a partial answer from Wikipedia; the rapid descent from 45,000' to about 1/2 that altitude so rapidly in an unpressurized environment would cause the gasses in the passengers' stomachs and intestines to rapidly expand. I suspect with explosive results. They were making sure that the passengers didn't have the chance of retaking the cockpit, it appears.

Interesting theory, but why then would the same not happen to who ever was flying the plane? I don't believe commercial jets have separately pressurized cockpits...just a steel reinforced plastic door.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the rapid descent from 45,000' to about 1/2 that altitude so rapidly in an unpressurized environment would cause the gasses in the passengers' stomachs and intestines to rapidly expand. I suspect with explosive results.
Boyle's Law works opposite of that, actually. As altitude increases, pressure decreases. As pressure decreases, volume expands. Rapid D at 45k will give about 30sec of useful unconsciousness for most people not on o2. The dixi cups that fall from the ceiling are automatic and supply that needed o2. I don't know when unconsciousness progresses to death, but I'm pretty sure it takes a few minutes. Also, the pressure changes aren't drastic enough to rupture major organs, but it can cause the bends and ruptured sinuses in folks with bad congestion. I've also never heard of a separately pressurized cockpit, so the pilots would be exposed to the same conditions as the passengers. They would be able to get on o2 at will, but being on o2 wouldn't protect them from the pressure changes.

A current Boeing 777-200 pilot for an Asian-based airline said the move could have been intended to depressurize the cabin and render the passengers and crew unconscious, preventing them from alerting people on the ground with their cellphones.
They wouldn't be able to use their phones anyway. Even if over a field of cell towers, the signal is only good for 3-4 miles. 6000'/mile (NM, anyway) 36-45k' = 6-8 miles high in a metal tube that limits reception/broadcast abilities. Unless the jet was equipped with cell service, nobody could call unless they were lower. .

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Paranoia? A blind man can see the constant demonization of Iran in our media...I never made that statement; not sure where you got that from my post.

Reference the first part - one can indeed see that support for Israel is strong in the US and that Iran's government is held in suspicion and low regard - - that doesn't equal either of those positions being incorrect, strategically correct for US interests, or propganda/conspiracy.

Reference the second part - I stand corrected, I think I confused a previous statement from someone else as yours - my apologies.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Interesting theory, but why then would the same not happen to who ever was flying the plane? I don't believe commercial jets have separately pressurized cockpits...just a steel reinforced plastic door.

What I know is it went to up 45,000' and a 777 pilot said it was probably done to incapacitate to passengers. Wikipedia said rapid descent in an unpressurized environment causes gasses in the body to expand. This was well planned. Did the pilots have gravity suits? I don't know. I know I saw Rick on Pawn Stars buy a gravity suit, and Sportsman's Guide sells surplus gravity suits from time to time. But that is speculation. The facts are that it went up to 45,000' and descended rapidly to 23,000' then resumed a cruising altitude. They are saying on CNN right now the last ping is looking like it may have come while the plane was over land.
This is the Wiki link on cabin pressurization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_pressurization

Pressurization of the cargo hold is also required to prevent damage to pressure-sensitive goods that might leak, expand, burst or be crushed on re-pressurization.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Boyle's Law works opposite of that, actually. As altitude increases, pressure decreases. As pressure decreases, volume expands. Rapid D at 45k will give about 30sec of useful unconsciousness for most people not on o2. The dixi cups that fall from the ceiling are automatic and supply that needed o2. I don't know when unconsciousness progresses to death, but I'm pretty sure it takes a few minutes. Also, the pressure changes aren't drastic enough to rupture major organs, but it can cause the bends and ruptured sinuses in folks with bad congestion. I've also never heard of a separately pressurized cockpit, so the pilots would be exposed to the same conditions as the passengers. They would be able to get on o2 at will, but being on o2 wouldn't protect them from the pressure changes.

They wouldn't be able to use their phones anyway. Even if over a field of cell towers, the signal is only good for 3-4 miles. 6000'/mile (NM, anyway) 36-45k' = 6-8 miles high in a metal tube that limits reception/broadcast abilities. Unless the jet was equipped with cell service, nobody could call unless they were lower. .

The link referenced what the 777 pilot said. Maybe he figured since the plane swung back over the peninsula it would be within cellphone tower range again. He suggested the passengers were depressurized so they couldn't use the cell phones, it is known the plane swung back and flew over the peninsula, where cell phone towers are.

This is from the Wikipedia link in the post above on regards to repressurization: "Pressurization of the cargo hold is also required to prevent damage to pressure-sensitive goods that might leak, expand, burst or be crushed on re-pressurization."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom