Mantis X10 Elite Review & First Training Sessions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little long with pictures. I'll have to have more than one post to get all of the information in the thread:

1)

After seeing a post by @Jason Freeland about the Mantis X10 Elite training system and watching a product video that he posted a link to, I decided to order the Mantis X10 Elite product for myself. I also ordered another product, the DryFire magazine to work with the Mantis X10 system. The Dryfire mag lets you repeatedly pull your guns trigger without have to rack the slide each time for a trigger press while you dry fire practice.

The Mantis X10 system is a sensor that attaches to the gun and records data for gun movement during target acquisition, trigger press, shot location at trigger break, recoil movement, and draw from holster stats. The sensor works via a phone app to collect all of the data. The sensor works for Dry Fire, Live Fire, and CO2 BB guns and Airsoft pistols.

So, after setting it up on my Glock 19 and using it with the DryFire Mag, I went through some of the dry fire drills that come with the app, while trying to focus on sight alignment and trigger press.

The sensor doesn’t know what you are aiming at, nor does it care. It’s just tracking movement of the gun through different stages of a single shot.

DRYFIRE

This pic shows a list of shots recorded to the app during one of my dryfire sessions. It scores each shot and records split times
Dryfire1.jpg

This chart shows each shots location from the center of an x,y axis based upon the guns movement at the trigger break. Each red band represents a recorded shot.
DryFire2.jpg

Next pic shows an example of the guns movement during the process of firing a shot. The blue line shows the movement of the gun while you are settling the sights on your target, the yellow line shows the guns movement from the start of the trigger press until the shot breaks, the shot and its location is designated by the white X. A red line would be the movement of the gun after the shot breaks representing recoil (absent in my dry fire example). The app has an audible voice that announces the score of the shot and calls the shot by saying high right or low left, etc.
Dryfire3trigger.jpg

Now for some live fire with the Glock 19 at 7 yards using my USPSA loads of Xtreme 124 RN bullets, 4.2 gr of WST powder, OAL of 1.135, with mixed headstamp brass (For those who are curious)

LIVE FIRE

App showing first 5 shots of live fire recorded with scores and split times
3_1.jpg

Next, app chart showing shot placement in relationship from center of the sensor’s x,y axis. Notice app showing all shots are low and offering a diagnosis of the results.
3_1a.jpg

Next my second 5 shots with scores and split times
3_2.jpg

Shot placement chart for those 5 shots, notice again app records all 5 shots either low, or low left. Remember each red band represents one shot location. Shot locations are stacked just showing the app recording a low hit, it does not show how low. If you had 20 shots and they were all low and even many of them through the same hole, you would still get a stacked chart growing out from the center showing each shot low, stacked low on each shot, if that make sense.
3_2a.jpg

The sensor recorded all my shots low or low left for my first 10 shots.

Here is the target for those 10 shots, notice 2 of them are quite high, but the app didn’t record any of my shots as high.
3Target.jpg

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2)
This pic shows an example of the guns movement during a live fire shot. The blue line represents the guns movement during the process of settling the sights on the target, the yellow line showing the movement of the gun during the trigger press, the white X showing location of the shot, and the red line showing the movement of the gun after the shot.
3_1b_trigger.jpg

Here’s my second session of 10 shots, but the app only recorded 9 shots, don’t know why.
Session shows scores and split times
2_1.jpg

Chart showing shot placement with all shots low, or low left.
2_2.jpg

Target showing second session of shots. Note I had 5 shots low left, but chart only showed 2 low left and the rest shown as low.
2Target.jpg

The app also has a recoil only recording function and this last pic is showing the guns movement during recoil and how long it took to settle back (recovery time) on the target to prepare for the next shot.
Recoil1.jpg

The difference in trigger feel from using the DryFire mag and dry firing the gun without the DryFire mag is quite noticeable. I think I’m going to work some dry fire sessions with the sensor and app using only my gun, which means I’ll have to rack the slide to record each dry fire shot, but I’m curious if not using the DryFire mag will make a difference in my next live fire session.

The app has about 27 drills plus some LE & military drills that I don’t have turned on, so there are lots of things you can work on for dry fire and live fire training.

The Mantis X10 system is a very interesting diagnostic tool that gives you lots of feedback. These are kind of pricey dry fire tools but I’m hoping I can improve on my trigger press, accuracy, and hopefully do these things faster. I haven’t worked with any of the Holster drills that come with the app or mag changing drills as of yet.

Time will tell how I benefit from using the Mantis system. Like anything else I’ve got to use it and have focused practice to get a benefit for live fire.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed similar results on mine, when live firing. The way I look at the dry fire mag is that it replicates firing after the take up on the trigger, not the whole pull. At least that is the way mine feels. You running a stock Glock trigger or did you replace yours?

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed similar results on mine, when live firing. The way I look at the dry fire mag is that it replicates firing after the take up on the trigger, not the whole pull. At least that is the way mine feels. You running a stock Glock trigger or did you replace yours?
Running the stock G19, so not a great trigger. It shows a little over 6lbs on my gouge. I got the spring kit with the dry fire mag so I have a spring in it that is just over a 6lb pull too. For a carry gun I chose not to modify the trigger.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been working my Mantis today and got a 99.8 on one shot, it would be interesting to know how it would have faired live fire. I did come across recently a channel that covers a lot on grip and pistol shooting, that has helped me a fair amount. I'll link one of their videos below and you can decide for yourself if they are any good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom